"Calculate Resultant Force on Vertical Dam Wall

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the resultant force on a vertical dam wall with a width w and water filled to a height H. The solution involved using the equation P=Pa g*h*p and performing an integration to account for the changing pressure as you go down. The final solution was determined to be PA = HW(PaH + pgH^2/2).
etothey

Homework Statement

Pressure_2.jpg: http://www.imageupload.org/thumb/thumb_8609.jpg
A vertical dam wall has a width w. Water is filled to a height H behind the dam. Calculate the resultant force on the dam wall.

Homework Equations

P=F/A
P= Pa + p*g*h

The Attempt at a Solution

Using picture to solve the question
P=F/A
A=H*W
Thus P=Pa g*h*p where p is density and P is pressure.
Thus F=P*A=H*W*(Pa + gHp) where g is gravity.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution, as I've understood it, would work if the pressure were uniform, that is, constant. However, it changes as you go down, so you would need to perform an integration to determine the net force.

Metaleer said:
Your solution, as I've understood it, would work if the pressure were uniform, that is, constant. However, it changes as you go down, so you would need to perform an integration to determine the net force.

Aha, I see. This is first fluid question I had involving integration.
Thus, I integrated [tex]\int[/tex]Po + pgh dh from 0 to H.
Getting P=PaH + pgH^2/2.
Thus
PA = HW(PaH + pgH^2/2).
Better now?

anyone?

I would like to first clarify a few things. In the given problem, we are assuming that the dam wall is a solid and impermeable structure. Also, we are assuming that the water pressure is constant throughout the entire height of the dam wall.

With that being said, your solution does seem to be correct. The resultant force on the dam wall would be equal to the pressure exerted by the water multiplied by the area of the dam wall, which is H*W in this case. The pressure can be calculated using the formula P=Pa+pgH, where Pa is the atmospheric pressure and pgH is the hydrostatic pressure due to the height of the water.

However, it is important to note that the units of pressure should be consistent. In your solution, the units for Pa and pgh are different (Pa is in N/m^2 while pgh is in N/m). It would be more accurate to use the same unit for both, such as using pgh in N/m^2.

Additionally, it would be beneficial to include the values for the given variables, such as the density of water and the acceleration due to gravity, in order to obtain a numerical value for the resultant force. Overall, your solution is on the right track and can be considered correct with some minor adjustments.

1. What is a resultant force?

A resultant force is the overall force acting on an object or structure, taking into account all of the individual forces acting on it.

2. How do you calculate the resultant force on a vertical dam wall?

The resultant force on a vertical dam wall can be calculated by adding together all of the individual forces acting on the wall, taking into account their direction and magnitude.

3. What are the different types of forces that can act on a vertical dam wall?

The different types of forces that can act on a vertical dam wall include hydrostatic pressure, wind load, water current, and buoyancy force.

4. How does the angle of the dam wall affect the resultant force?

The angle of the dam wall can affect the resultant force by changing the direction and magnitude of the individual forces acting on the wall. A steeper angle may result in a larger resultant force, while a shallower angle may result in a smaller resultant force.

5. Why is it important to calculate the resultant force on a vertical dam wall?

It is important to calculate the resultant force on a vertical dam wall in order to ensure the stability and structural integrity of the wall. By understanding the forces acting on the wall, engineers can design and construct a dam that can withstand these forces and protect against potential failures.