Solving a T-Shaped Tube Puzzle: What Happens When Air Is Blown?

This leads to a pressure difference between the liquid in the tube and the surrounding liquid, causing the liquid level in the tube to fall below the level of the surrounding liquid. In summary, when air is blown through a T-shaped tube with a constriction, the liquid level in the tube will fall below the level of the surrounding liquid due to the pressure difference caused by the moving air. This applies regardless of the strength of the air flow and can be visualized using the example of a barometer with a horizontal tube on top.
bobash69x2
Well, i have been doing some fluids problems, and i came upon this. It has me stuck

A T-shaped tube with a constriction is inserted in a vessel containing a liquid. What happens if air is blown through the tub from the left?

A) The liquid level in the tube rises above the surface of the liquid surrounding the tube.

B) The liquid level in the tube falls below the level of the surrounding liquid.

C) The liquid level in the tube remains where it is.

D) The air bubbles out at the bottom of the tube.

E) Any of the above, depending on how hard the air flows.

I figured E, but i can't figure out how to justifiy my reasoning.

P.S. If you can't picture the problem, imagine a Barometer with a horizontal tube on top of the barometeric tube. (that didnt make any more sense than the original).

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the air is moving over the opening of the vertical tube it will lower the air pressure in it, irrespective of the constriction in the horizontal section.

I can provide an explanation for the solution to this T-shaped tube puzzle. The answer is E, any of the above, depending on how hard the air flows. This is because the behavior of the liquid in the tube is dependent on the relative pressures and forces acting on it.

When air is blown through the tube, it creates an increase in pressure on the left side of the constriction. This higher pressure will cause the liquid to rise above the surface of the surrounding liquid (option A) if the force of the air is strong enough. However, if the force of the air is not strong enough, the liquid level may remain where it is (option C) or even fall below the level of the surrounding liquid (option B). This is because the pressure on the right side of the constriction is still greater than the pressure on the left side, causing the liquid to flow towards the lower pressure area.

In some cases, if the force of the air is not strong enough to overcome the pressure differential, the air may bubble out at the bottom of the tube (option D). This is because the air is trying to escape through the path of least resistance, which may be the bottom of the tube.

To justify this reasoning, we can use the principles of fluid mechanics and Bernoulli's principle. Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. In this case, as the air flows through the tube, its speed increases, causing a decrease in pressure. This pressure decrease can cause the liquid to rise, fall, or remain stationary depending on the relative pressures and forces acting on it.

In conclusion, the behavior of the liquid in the T-shaped tube is dependent on the force and pressure of the air blowing through it. This is a great example of how fluid mechanics can help us understand and predict the behavior of fluids in various situations.

1. How does air blowing affect the T-shaped tube puzzle?

Blowing air into the T-shaped tube puzzle creates air pressure that can push the puzzle pieces and cause them to move.

2. What happens when air is blown into the T-shaped tube puzzle?

The air pressure created by blowing into the puzzle can cause the pieces to shift and potentially solve the puzzle.

3. Is there a specific technique for blowing air into the T-shaped tube puzzle?

There is no specific technique for blowing air into the puzzle, but it is important to blow with enough force to create sufficient air pressure.

4. Can air blowing alone solve the T-shaped tube puzzle?

Air blowing can help solve the puzzle, but it may also require strategic movements of the puzzle pieces to fully solve it.

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the puzzle when air is blown?

The shape and weight of the puzzle pieces, as well as the strength of the air blowing, can also impact how the puzzle moves when air is blown into it.