1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluids angular momentum

1. Sep 28, 2016 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

I don't typically do this, but attached is a figure with a problem statement. This is not homework because I have already solved it! My question is a subtle one.
    Please see the attachments, one is the question and the other is my solution.

I know my solution is correct, but at the end of equation (2) I wrote ##n = e_x## where ##e_x## is the unit vector in the ##x## direction. At the time I am not sure why I wrote ##e_x## this way, because I now think it should be ##\cos \theta e_x + \sin \theta e_y##. Any help here would be awesome in understanding why what I had was correct.

Thanks so much.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I am not going to try to follow your intricate algebra, but I will suggest an easier way. Take moments about the sprinkler's axis and apply conservation of angular momentum. What is the tangential velocity of the jet in the ground frame?

4. Sep 30, 2016 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Tangential velocity is ##-r \omega + Q \cos \theta / 3 A##.

I think I know how to solve the problem assuming velocity out of the sprinkler pipe is constant (or rather averaged), but I want to make sure I can do it both ways (the way you mention above and using integrals).

Thanks for the reply

5. Sep 30, 2016 #4

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Never mind, I figured it out. For others, in case they want to know, I'll attach the solution.

Attached Files:

• hw4.pdf
      hw4.pdf
      File size:
      111.6 KB
      Views:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted