Fluids Conceptual Questions: Understanding Pressure and Bernoulli's Equation

In summary: Pascal's principle is a mathematical equation that states that the pressure of a gas is independent of height. This means that if you decrease the pressure in a closed system, the gas will still occupy the same amount of space. However, if you increase the pressure in a closed system, the gas will occupy a different amount of space. This is because the pressure is exerting a force on the gas molecules.
vivekfan

Homework Statement

1. Is pressure always force/area? or is it only for static fluids?
2. I read that the equation for hydrostatic pressure is (initial pressure) + density x gravity x height, but How would I know to use that instead of Force/Area? Also is the initial pressure always atmospheric?
3. Please help describe pressure for moving fluids?
Why in bernoulli's equation is it just pressure and not using the quantity (density x volume x height?)

Homework Equations

I have stated relevant equations above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just keep getting confused with concept and would appreciate some help. Thanks

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
oh boy. What class is this for, and what have you learned so far?

Pressure is force divided by an area. It exists in static fluids, moving fluids, everywhere.

2. I read that the equation for hydrostatic pressure is (initial pressure) + density x gravity x height, but How would I know to use that instead of Force/Area? Also is the initial pressure always atmospheric?
Pressure is BOTH. If the hydrostatic pressure of water at 100 meters is:
[tex]p = p_\infty + \rho g h = 101.3 kPa + (1000 kg/m^3)(9.81 m/s^2)(100m) = 1082 kPa[/tex]
Then that means that the fluid will exert 1082 N of force for every 1 meter of area.

3. Please help describe pressure for moving fluids? Why in bernoulli's equation is it just pressure and not using the quantity (density x volume x height?)
Bernoulli's equation is a form of conservation of energy. It basically says that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. In laymens' terms, it says that the internal energy (pressure) plus kinetic energy (velocity) plus potential energy (height) stays the same.

minger said:
oh boy. What class is this for, and what have you learned so far?

Pressure is force divided by an area. It exists in static fluids, moving fluids, everywhere.

Pressure is BOTH. If the hydrostatic pressure of water at 100 meters is:
[tex]p = p_\infty + \rho g h = 101.3 kPa + (1000 kg/m^3)(9.81 m/s^2)(100m) = 1082 kPa[/tex]
Then that means that the fluid will exert 1082 N of force for every 1 meter of area.

3. Please help describe pressure for moving fluids? Why in bernoulli's equation is it just pressure and not using the quantity (density x volume x height?)
Bernoulli's equation is a form of conservation of energy. It basically says that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. In laymens' terms, it says that the internal energy (pressure) plus kinetic energy (velocity) plus potential energy (height) stays the same.

Could you explain Pascal's principle? What is an incompressible fluid and how is a change in pressure applied to an incompressible fluid independent of height?

1. What are fluids?

Fluids are substances that are able to flow and take on the shape of their container. Examples of fluids include water, air, and oil.

2. How do fluids exert pressure?

Fluids exert pressure because their molecules are constantly in motion and colliding with each other and with the walls of their container. The force of these collisions creates pressure.

3. How does the density of a fluid affect its behavior?

The density of a fluid determines how it will behave when placed in a specific environment. A denser fluid will sink in a less dense fluid, while a less dense fluid will rise in a denser fluid.

4. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is when a fluid moves in smooth layers, while turbulent flow is when the fluid moves in an irregular and chaotic manner. Laminar flow occurs at low speeds, while turbulent flow occurs at higher speeds.

5. How is Bernoulli's principle applied in fluid dynamics?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. This principle is used to explain the lift force on an airplane wing, as the faster-moving air above the wing creates a lower pressure and results in an upward force.