1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Fluids] Determine pressure change from industrial jet pump

1. Oct 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The apparatus or "jet pump" used in an industrial plant is constructed by placing the tube within the pipe. The velocity of the flow within the 200-mm-diameter pipe is 2 m/s, and the velocity of the flow through the 20-mm-diameter tube is V = 37 m/s . The fluid is ethyl alcohol having a density of ρea = 790 kg/m3. Assume the pressure at each cross section of the pipe is uniform. Assume ethyl alcohol is ideal fluid, that is, incompressible and frictionless.

Determine the increase in pressure PB−PA that occurs between the back A and front B of the pipe.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm assuming CoE since it has a pressure term explicitly

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I don't really know where to begin. What I have:

Vin = 37 m/s
    Vout = 2 m/s
    ρ = 790 kg/m3
    Ain = π(0.01m)2
    Aout = π(0.1m)2

I'm using "in" and "out", but in the end, it's just deltas I'm looking for. But, like . . . I don't know where to begin with these numbers? Do I find kinetic energy? Set that equal to . . . something? Or find a force first. And what to do after that (I'm gonna have a lot of questions with CoM and CoE)?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      9.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted