Fluids momentum conservation Q

Jay discuss the use of the continuity equation and momentum conservation in solving for the force on a cone in a fluid flow situation. Jay is unsure about using the equation Q=A1U1 = A2U2 and the resulting velocity U2 = 195 m/s. Chetan advises to continue using momentum conservation and trigonometry to calculate the resultant force on the cone, and mentions that the 40 cm dimension is needed for the calculations. In summary, Chetan and Jay discuss using the continuity equation and momentum conservation to solve for the force on a cone in a fluid flow situation, and Jay seeks clarification on the use of the equation and the significance of the 40 cm dimension.
Jaydude
Question with diagram:

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1430313597.414676.jpg

Relevant equations:

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1430313713.658776.jpg

Attempt :

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1430313911.008830.jpg

My question:

Using my method I got the wrong force , not sure if in this situation I can use Q=A1U1 = A2U2, hence maybe that's why U2 = 195 m/s looks wrong/too fast?

I continue to use momentum conservation in the x and y directions. Lastly I just used trig to get the resultant force on the cone. I have no idea why we need the 40cm dimension...

Please point me in the right direction!

Thanks and regards,

Jay

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the perimeter of the cone at the location where the diameter is 40 cm. What is the channel cross sectional area at that location if all the flow is contained within the 4 cm channel height? What is the velocity normal to the channel cross section at that location?

Chet

1. What is fluid momentum conservation?

Fluid momentum conservation is a principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a fluid system remains constant as long as there are no external forces acting on it. This means that the total amount of motion in the fluid remains the same, even if individual particles are changing their velocity or direction.

2. Why is fluid momentum conservation important?

Fluid momentum conservation is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of fluids in various scenarios. It is a fundamental principle that is used in many applications, such as designing aircrafts, analyzing weather patterns, and understanding how fluids move through pipes and channels.

3. How is fluid momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, fluid momentum is conserved because there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the total momentum of the fluid before an event (such as a collision or a change in direction) is equal to the total momentum after the event.

4. Does fluid momentum conservation apply to all types of fluids?

Yes, fluid momentum conservation applies to all types of fluids, including liquids and gases. It is a general principle of physics that is not specific to any particular type of fluid.

5. How is fluid momentum conservation related to the laws of motion?

Fluid momentum conservation is closely related to Newton's laws of motion, particularly the law of conservation of momentum. This law states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. Fluid momentum conservation can be seen as an application of this law to fluids specifically.