Solving Blood Pressure Problem with Fluids: Pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem given by a professor involving the flow of blood plasma from a bag to a patient's vein. The equation P = P0 + density * g * h is mentioned as a potential solution, along with the need to determine the height (h) for the plasma to flow into the vein. The specific gravity of blood plasma at 37°C is also mentioned as 1.03, which is equivalent to the density of fresh water. The conversation then goes on to discuss the need for the density of mercury and finding the height in cm. The final summary is that the pressure of the blood and the pressure of the mercury column need to balance in order to determine the needed height.
maniacp08
Fluids -- pressure

Blood plasma flows from a bag through a tube into a patient's vein, where the blood pressure is 10 mmHg. The specific gravity of blood plasma at 37°C is 1.03. What is the minimum elevation the bag must have so the plasma flows into the vein?

Prof gave this problem for us to solve, and I went through my notes and didn't see much that would help me get started.
I got this equation P = P0 + density * g * h
density = mass / volume

Is this equation relevant to this problem?
Im given the pressure 10 mmHg, gravity 1.03, but what is the density?
I need to solve for height.

Can someone help me get started?

Physics news on Phys.org

'specific gravity' is the density compared to water, in this case 1.03* the density of fresh water (which is 1g/cc)

Oh so the density is 1.03, then g would be 9.81m/s then.
P = P0 + density * g * h
10mmHg = 1.03 * 9.81m/s * h
and solve for h?

Yes, make sure you have consistent units.
(You also need the density of mercury.)

where/how would the density of mercury come in?
Im not too sure about this.
They want the height in cm.

10mmHg = 1.03 kg/m^3 * 9.81N/kg * h

You have a pressure of X cm of blood pushing down from the drip.
You have a pressure equal to a column of mercury 10mm high pushing up.
These pressures have to balance, you need to find X

1. What is the relationship between fluids and blood pressure?

The amount of fluid in the body can affect blood pressure. When there is an increase in fluid volume, there is also an increase in blood pressure. This is because the heart has to work harder to pump the increased volume of fluid through the blood vessels.

2. Can drinking more fluids help lower blood pressure?

Yes, drinking more fluids can help lower blood pressure. When the body is properly hydrated, the blood vessels are able to dilate and allow for easier blood flow, resulting in lower blood pressure. However, it is important to note that excessive fluid intake can also lead to high blood pressure, so moderation is key.

3. How do certain fluids affect blood pressure?

Certain fluids, such as those high in sodium, can lead to increased blood pressure. This is because sodium causes the body to retain water, leading to an increase in fluid volume and ultimately, an increase in blood pressure. On the other hand, fluids that are low in sodium and high in potassium can help lower blood pressure.

4. Are there specific fluids that are recommended for managing blood pressure?

Yes, there are certain fluids that are recommended for managing blood pressure. Drinking water is one of the best ways to stay hydrated and help regulate blood pressure. Additionally, low-fat milk and unsweetened fruit juices can also be beneficial for blood pressure management.

5. Can fluid intake alone solve blood pressure problems?

Fluid intake alone may not solve all blood pressure problems. While proper hydration is important for maintaining healthy blood pressure levels, it is also important to exercise regularly, maintain a healthy diet, and avoid excessive alcohol consumption. Consulting with a healthcare professional is recommended for individuals with persistent high blood pressure.