1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluids problem-elementary

1. Apr 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

THe human lungs can operate w a pressure differential of abt 1/20 of an atmosphere. If a diver uses a snorkle for breathing, about how far below the water level can they swim?

2. Relevant equations

P=P(i) + pgh

where p is ro, density.

3. The attempt at a solution

1026kPa=101.3kPa + (0.001g/l)(9.8m/s^2)(h)

I isolated for h, but the number i get is way larger than the diameter of earth.

My problem is this: the units don't seemt o cancel out properly. the units for height work out to be L/m^2

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2008 #2
    You are not using a proper set of units here. Use the S.I system throughout. For pressure, use Pascals (Pa), not kPa. 1 Pa = 1 N/m² . For density, use kg/m³. Density of water is: 1000 kg/m³. You have used the right units for gravitational acceleration and your 'h' should come out in meters.

You have used the density of water as 0.001 g/l. It is actually 1000 g/l. [or 1000 kg/m³].

As for the unit dimensions, you are getting it as L/m². 'L' is litres, so it has the dimension, [Length]³, and the denominator has dimension, [Length]². When it cancels out, you get the height's dimensions as [Length].. so there is no error in the dimensional analysis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?