How Deep Can a Diver Go with a Snorkel Based on Lung Pressure Differential?

• Thread starter Moe*
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluids
In summary, when calculating the maximum depth a diver can swim with a snorkel, it is important to use the correct units, such as Pascals for pressure and kg/m³ for density. By isolating for 'h' in the given equation, the height comes out in meters, which is the correct unit for depth.
Moe*

Homework Statement

THe human lungs can operate w a pressure differential of abt 1/20 of an atmosphere. If a diver uses a snorkle for breathing, about how far below the water level can they swim?

Homework Equations

P=P(i) + pgh

where p is ro, density.

The Attempt at a Solution

1026kPa=101.3kPa + (0.001g/l)(9.8m/s^2)(h)

I isolated for h, but the number i get is way larger than the diameter of earth.

My problem is this: the units don't seemt o cancel out properly. the units for height work out to be L/m^2

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not using a proper set of units here. Use the S.I system throughout. For pressure, use Pascals (Pa), not kPa. 1 Pa = 1 N/m² . For density, use kg/m³. Density of water is: 1000 kg/m³. You have used the right units for gravitational acceleration and your 'h' should come out in meters.

You have used the density of water as 0.001 g/l. It is actually 1000 g/l. [or 1000 kg/m³].

As for the unit dimensions, you are getting it as L/m². 'L' is litres, so it has the dimension, [Length]³, and the denominator has dimension, [Length]². When it cancels out, you get the height's dimensions as [Length].. so there is no error in the dimensional analysis.

, which doesn't make sense.

I would first check my calculations to make sure I didn't make any mistakes. I would also double check the units to make sure they are consistent throughout the equation. If there are any discrepancies, I would go back and make sure I am using the correct units and that they are cancelling out properly.

Additionally, I would also consider the other factors that could affect the pressure differential in the lungs, such as the depth of the water and the lung capacity of the diver. I may also research and compare the pressure differentials of different types of breathing apparatus, such as a snorkel versus a scuba tank, to see how they may affect the maximum depth a diver can reach.

Furthermore, I would also consider the safety and physiological limitations of the human body when diving to certain depths. While the lungs may be able to operate at a pressure differential of 1/20 of an atmosphere, there may be other factors such as air consumption, nitrogen absorption, and oxygen toxicity that could limit the depth a diver can safely reach.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would thoroughly analyze the problem and consider all relevant factors before providing a response. Proper calculations, consistent units, and consideration of physiological limitations are all important in finding a solution to this fluid problem.

1. What is a fluid?

A fluid is a substance that can flow and take the shape of its container. Examples of fluids include liquids and gases.

2. What is the difference between a liquid and a gas?

The main difference between a liquid and a gas is their molecular arrangement. Liquids have a definite volume and take the shape of their container, while gases have no definite volume or shape and can expand to fill any container.

3. How do you measure the density of a fluid?

Density is measured by dividing the mass of a substance by its volume. In the case of fluids, this can be done by using a graduated cylinder to measure the volume and a scale to measure the mass.

4. Why do some objects float while others sink in fluids?

Objects float or sink in fluids due to the concept of buoyancy. Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object. If the buoyant force is greater than the weight of the object, it will float. If the weight of the object is greater than the buoyant force, it will sink.

5. What is Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is often used to explain the lift force of an airplane wing, where the faster moving air above the wing creates a lower pressure, causing the wing to lift.