Solve Fluid Problems on Titan and Underwater Colony | AP Physics Worksheet

• Thread starter nickr917
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluids
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with two physics problems involving a structure on Saturn's moon and an underwater colony. The person has attempted to use Bernoulli's equation but is struggling to solve the problems. They are requesting assistance and are under a time constraint.
nickr917
Hi, I am having some trouble with a couple problems from an AP Physics worksheet. I don't really think that they are actually that hard overall but I'm justhaving a hard time tryng to figure out where to start. Here they are:

A 90,000 kg structure is built on stilts on the surface of Saturns moon, Titan. The structure is 20 m deep, 10 m long, and 10 m wide. Each stilt is attached to a scale that is bolted to the ground. If the air beneath the structure is at rest, how fast must the wind blow over the top of the structure for all the scales to be 0N? (Titan Data: Atmospheric density: 5.38 kg/m3 Gravity: 1.37 N/kg)

I tried to work the problem out by starting with Bernoulli's equation but then I couldn't get anything to work after that. Here is the other problem:

An underwater colony is created 180 m below the surface of a freshwater lake. The colony is a large dome presurized with air to 1.1 atm. One of the residents builds a 20 m x 10 m x 2 m swimming pool. To fill the pool, the resident opens a valve connected to a 0.5 m diameter pipe connected to outside the dome. How long will it take to fill the pool?

Again, I began with Bernoulli's equation but then I can't figure out that rate at which the pool is being filled.

Any help will be appreciated, I just need to be steered in the right direction. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Guess I put this in the wrong section to begin with. Anyone here able to provide any help. Anything would be much appreciated.

Could really use some help, this is due tomorrow!

1. What are fluids and why are they important?

Fluids are substances that can flow and take on the shape of their container. They include liquids and gases. They are important in many aspects of our daily lives, such as in transportation, manufacturing, and the human body.

2. What is the difference between a liquid and a gas?

The main difference between a liquid and a gas is their molecular arrangement. In a liquid, the molecules are closely packed together and can move past each other, whereas in a gas, the molecules are further apart and move freely. This is why liquids have a definite volume but can take on the shape of their container, while gases can expand to fill any container they are in.

3. How do you calculate the pressure of a fluid?

The pressure of a fluid can be calculated using the formula P = F/A, where P represents pressure, F represents force, and A represents the area over which the force is applied. In fluid mechanics, pressure is usually measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

4. What is Bernoulli's principle and how does it apply to fluids?

Bernoulli's principle states that in a fluid, an increase in the speed of the flow results in a decrease in pressure, and vice versa. This principle is often used to explain the lift of an airplane wing or the flow of water through a pipe. It is based on the conservation of energy, where the total energy of a fluid remains constant throughout its flow.

5. What are some common applications of fluid mechanics?

Some common applications of fluid mechanics include designing pumps and turbines, understanding weather systems, predicting ocean currents, and analyzing blood flow in the human body. It is also used in industries such as aviation, automotive, and chemical processing to optimize the performance of various systems and processes.