1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluids Question

1. Aug 30, 2004 #1
    How can you determine the net force of a bottle who's contents are kept under 2 atm of pressure, and it has a 1 cm opening for example?

a1v1=a2v2 doesn't seem to apply, and the flowrate=dav doesn't seem to either. I suspect it is bernoulli's equation, but I am unsure.

I know P=F/A, but how do you find the pressure? is it simply the pressure difference?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2004 #2
    Also, if the bottle has two openings facing in the same direction, how does that work? Do you add the area of the two holes and use that for area, or is it two seperate cases?

4. Aug 30, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Pressure is defined as "force divided by area" or P= F/A so F= P*A. You are given that the pressure is 2 atmospheres and the fluid is coming out an area of pi cm2 (I am assuming that the "1 cm" hole has radius 1 cm. If it is diameter= 1 cm, then the area is pi/4 cm2).

Yes, if you have two holes of area A1 and A2, then that is the same as 1 hole of area A1+ A2.

5. Aug 31, 2004 #4
    Does the outside pressure matter?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?