1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluids - Watering a lawn?

1. Jul 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A man has a garden on the roof of his building. He has a patio and a small lawn. He wants to water the lawn. He has a sprinkler in the form of a disk with 40 holes of diameter 1 mm. A line drawn tangent to the sprinkler at the location of the outer most holes would make an angle of 15 degrees with the horizontal. He places the sprinkler at the center of the lawn with a distance of 2 m from the sprinkler to the edge of the lawn and connects it via a hose to a faucet placed on a wall 70 cm above the roof level. The man does not want the water to extend farther than the edge of the lawn. What should be the speed of the water out of the 1.9 cm diameter faucet for the water to reach no farther than the edge of the lawn? What will be the pressure at the faucet opening?

2. Relevant equations

Bernoulli's Principle: tumblr_lo9evoBZLP1qew352o1_400.png

3. The attempt at a solution

In all honesty, I'm not even sure where to begin with this problem. The density of the water is 1000 kg/m^3 and gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. When we plugged in our given data to Bernoulli's Principle, our answer was 6860 Pa. However, I'm not entirely sure that answer is even helpful to our problem. Any advice on where to even start going would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2011 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to Physics Forums.

It is hard to follow how you got 6860 Pa from Bernouli's equation, since you don't know v.

It is also difficult to picture the situation without a figure. That being said, can you calculate what v must be when the water leaves the sprinkler head, in order that the water just reaches the edge of the lawn?

4. Jul 13, 2011 #3
    I'm sorry, I meant to say that we used Variation of Pressure with Depth to find 6860 Pa.

5. Jul 13, 2011 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay.

Can you calculate what v must be when the water leaves the sprinkler head, in order that the water just reaches the edge of the lawn?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook