Demystifying Fluorescent Bulb Technology: A Comprehensive Guide

• Thread starter Naty1
  • Start date
In summary: For example, a 13 watt CFL is about the size of a traditional incandescent light bulb, while an 18 watt CFL is about the size of a typical fluorescent light bulb.
Naty1
Wikipedia seems to do a good general job of explaining fluorescent light bulb technology at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

Lots of technology hidden in a fluorescent bulb! But I did not see any explanation of how, say, a 13 watt compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) differs from an 18 watt...or for a full sized fluorescent,either...

It looks like the two basic components affecting light output are the gas and a fluorescent coating inside the bulb...but what is done to get more or less light from a given physical sized bulb?? Are both components varied or one or the other??

Engineering news on Phys.org
From the Wikipedia article,
Fluorescent lamps are negative differential resistance devices, so as more current flows through them, the electrical resistance of the fluorescent lamp drops, allowing even more current to flow. Connected directly to a constant-voltage mains power supply, a fluorescent lamp would rapidly self-destruct due to the uncontrolled current flow. To prevent this, fluorescent lamps must use an auxiliary device, a ballast, to regulate the current flow through the tube.

So, more current means more light.

So, more current means more light.[/QUOTE]

You may be right, but I don't see the logic in the quote nor in that section of the wikipedia article...I can see that in a negative resistance environment, i2 will likely rise more quickly than r will fall if the resistance decrease is linear...and perhaps that is the reason power and light increases.

Think about it. The electrons are being moved by the electrical potential and interact with the noble gas. The interaction by the electrons cause the gas atoms to make transitions causing emissions of UV. So the more electrons (current), the more interactions; hence more light.

ok, that's the logic I wanted to confirm...thanks...

Note that different wattages of CF bulbs are not the same physical size.

1. What is a fluorescent bulb?

A fluorescent bulb is a type of light bulb that uses electricity to excite mercury vapor and produce ultraviolet light. This light then causes a phosphor coating on the inside of the bulb to glow, creating visible light.

2. How does a fluorescent bulb differ from an incandescent bulb?

Unlike incandescent bulbs, which use a filament to produce light, fluorescent bulbs use an electric current to create ultraviolet light. This means that fluorescent bulbs are more energy-efficient and have a longer lifespan compared to incandescent bulbs.

3. Are there different types of fluorescent bulbs?

Yes, there are several types of fluorescent bulbs, including compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) and linear fluorescent bulbs. CFLs are smaller and more common in households, while linear fluorescent bulbs are typically used in commercial and industrial settings.

4. How do I dispose of a fluorescent bulb?

Fluorescent bulbs contain a small amount of mercury, so it is important to properly dispose of them. Many hardware stores and recycling centers offer programs for recycling fluorescent bulbs. Do not throw them in the trash as this can be harmful to the environment.

5. Can I use a fluorescent bulb in any type of fixture?

No, fluorescent bulbs require a specific type of fixture that includes a ballast, which regulates the electrical current. It is important to check the compatibility of the bulb and fixture before use.