Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluorescent bulbs

1. Jan 16, 2010 #1
    Wikipedia seems to do a good general job of explaining fluorescent light bulb technology at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

Lots of technology hidden in a fluorescent bulb! But I did not see any explanation of how, say, a 13 watt compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) differs from an 18 watt...or for a full sized fluorescent,either...

It looks like the two basic components affecting light output are the gas and a fluorescent coating inside the bulb...but what is done to get more or less light from a given physical sized bulb?? Are both components varied or one or the other??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2010 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From the Wikipedia article,
    So, more current means more light.

4. Jan 16, 2010 #3
    So, more current means more light.[/QUOTE]

You may be right, but I don't see the logic in the quote nor in that section of the wikipedia article....I can see that in a negative resistance environment, i2 will likely rise more quickly than r will fall if the resistance decrease is linear...and perhaps that is the reason power and light increases.

5. Jan 16, 2010 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Think about it. The electrons are being moved by the electrical potential and interact with the noble gas. The interaction by the electrons cause the gas atoms to make transitions causing emissions of UV. So the more electrons (current), the more interactions; hence more light.

6. Jan 17, 2010 #5
    ok, that's the logic I wanted to confirm.....thanks...

7. Jan 17, 2010 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Note that different wattages of CF bulbs are not the same physical size.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook