Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluorescent paint

1. Oct 12, 2004 #1
    What is general chemical structure of fluorescent paints (one’s that are invisible except when radiated with UV light).

I’m especially interested in this because I would like to maybe paint something on walls of my room invisibly, but seen under UV lamp (cool, a ?:)). :biggrin:

But I cant find (except on the net) that kind of colors in my stores (there are ones that are both visible under “normal” light and UV light, but I don’t want them).

+ I’m interested in chemistry, so I would like to know it’s structure.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2004 #2

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First of all, let me discuss the term "fluorescent" in terms of physics and chemistry:

If an ultraviolet (or X-rays, cathode rays, etc) radiation is absorbed and emitted as longer-wavelength-rays, this is called fluorescence.

For a better knowledge, please refer to this resource.

4. Oct 14, 2004 #3
    Huh :uhh: , thank you for answering but, let me rephrase.

I just want to know, what are fluorescent chromophores in structural sense used in fluorescent paints. By that I mean what functional element is usually used when you’re synthesizing fluorescent dye to give it characteristic known as fluorescence (and know you say something like: “it’s usually benzene ring that gives fluorescence to fluorescent dyes”).

I know almost everything about florescence as physical phenomena.

I hope that I was a little bit clearer now (this is as much as I can be, when speaking in English).

5. Oct 14, 2004 #4
    :) I haven’t noticed link in your reply till know, that’s helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?