1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluorescent paint

1. Oct 12, 2004 #1
    What is general chemical structure of fluorescent paints (one’s that are invisible except when radiated with UV light).

I’m especially interested in this because I would like to maybe paint something on walls of my room invisibly, but seen under UV lamp (cool, a ?:)). :biggrin:

But I cant find (except on the net) that kind of colors in my stores (there are ones that are both visible under “normal” light and UV light, but I don’t want them).

+ I’m interested in chemistry, so I would like to know it’s structure.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2004 #2

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First of all, let me discuss the term "fluorescent" in terms of physics and chemistry:

If an ultraviolet (or X-rays, cathode rays, etc) radiation is absorbed and emitted as longer-wavelength-rays, this is called fluorescence.

For a better knowledge, please refer to this resource.

4. Oct 14, 2004 #3
    Huh :uhh: , thank you for answering but, let me rephrase.

I just want to know, what are fluorescent chromophores in structural sense used in fluorescent paints. By that I mean what functional element is usually used when you’re synthesizing fluorescent dye to give it characteristic known as fluorescence (and know you say something like: “it’s usually benzene ring that gives fluorescence to fluorescent dyes”).

I know almost everything about florescence as physical phenomena.

I hope that I was a little bit clearer now (this is as much as I can be, when speaking in English).

5. Oct 14, 2004 #4
    :) I haven’t noticed link in your reply till know, that’s helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?