1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux across surface

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the vector field
    F= r + grad(1/magnitude(r)).
    Compute the flux (double integral F ndS) of F across the surface of the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2 where a>0. ndS is the vector element of surface with n the unit normal which here is assumed to point away from the enclosed volume.

2. Relevant equations
    Flux equals the double integral of F*n dS where * is the dot product between the vector field F and the unit normal n.

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I break it into two parts, I get F=r and F= grad(1/magnitude(r))

F=r just has flux 4*pi*a^3 since F=xi+yj+zk and F*N=a where * is the dot product. Note that N=(x/a)i+(y/a)j+(z/a)k. I know this just by looking at it, but how would I set up this double integral to get 4*pi*a^3?

F=grad(1/magnitude(r))=(-x)/(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}i-y/(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}j-z/(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}k

I can simplify it by using a^2=x^2+y^2+z^2 and use polar coordinates, but how do I do this?

I get that grad(1/magnitude(r))=
    [(-x)/a^(3/2)]i + [(-y)/a^(3/2)]j + [(-z)/a^(3/2)]k

I know that the unit normal N=(x/a)i + (y/a)j + (z/a)k.

Thus the dot product of grad(1/magnitude(r)) and the unit normal=
    (-x^2)/a^(5/2) + (-y^2)/a^(5/2) + (-z^2)/a^(5/2) =
    (-a^2)/(a^5/2)= -1/a^(3/2).

Now how do I integrate this to get the flux of the surface?

Is it,
    integral from 0 to 4pi, integral from 0 to a^2 of (-a^(-3/2))dr dtheta?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2
    Is spherical coordinates easier? How do I this?

OK, does an answer of (4*pi*a^3)-(4*pi*a^(-1/2))? make sense for the final answer?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?