Calculate Flux & Current at Intersection of Neutron Beams

In summary, when two monoenergetic neutron beams with intensities of 2*10^10 and 1*10^10 intersect at an angle of 30 degrees, the flux is equal to 2.866*10^10 n/(cm^2-s) and the current is equal to 2.866*10^10 i +.5*10^10 j. There may be confusion between current and flux, but the method used here takes into account both the vector representation of net flow and the amount of neutrons passing through an arbitrary surface area.
timman_24

Homework Statement

Two monoenergetic neutron beams I1=2*10^10 and I2=1*10^10 intersect at an angle of 30 degrees. Calculate both the flux and current in the region where they intersect.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I lined the first I1 up parallel to the x-axis and tilted I2 30 degrees below I1 to make the calculations easier.

attachment.php?attachmentid=32029&stc=1&d=1297136282.png

Flux:

I believe flux is the amount of neutrons passing between the left side to the right side across this arbitrary surface area. I took the surface area to span the y-z axis with the flux passing along the x-axis.

To calculate the flux, I simple did:

I1 + I2*cos(30) = 2.866*10^10 n/(cm^2-s)

Current:

I believe the current to be the vector representation of the net flow. For this I did the following:

J(Jx,Jy) = Jx + Jy
Jx= I1 + I2*cos(30)
Jy= I2*sin(30)

J(Jx,Jy) = 2.866*10^10 i +.5*10^10 j

I am not 100% positive if this is the correct way to do this. I get confused sometimes between current and flux.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• cart.png
    cart.png
    612 bytes · Views: 933
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess a lot of people have trouble with flux and current? :tongue:

1. How do you calculate the flux of neutron beams at an intersection?

The flux of neutron beams at an intersection can be calculated by dividing the number of neutrons passing through a unit area per unit time by the area of the intersecting surface. This can be represented by the equation: Flux = Number of Neutrons/Area x Time.

2. What factors affect the flux of neutron beams at an intersection?

The flux of neutron beams at an intersection is affected by several factors such as the intensity and direction of the neutron source, the size and shape of the intersecting surface, and any barriers or shielding materials present that may absorb or scatter neutrons.

3. How does the current of neutron beams at an intersection differ from the flux?

The current of neutron beams at an intersection refers to the rate at which the neutrons are passing through the surface, while the flux takes into account the area of the surface. Therefore, the current is a measure of the number of neutrons passing through a specific point, while the flux is a measure of the neutron density over a given area.

4. Can the flux and current of neutron beams at an intersection be controlled?

Yes, the flux and current of neutron beams at an intersection can be controlled by adjusting the factors that affect their values, such as the intensity and direction of the neutron source, and the presence of barriers or shielding materials. These adjustments can be made to optimize the neutron beam for specific experiments or applications.

5. How is the flux and current of neutron beams at an intersection measured?

The flux and current of neutron beams at an intersection can be measured using detectors such as scintillation counters, ion chambers, or neutron detectors. These detectors are able to measure the number of neutrons passing through a given area or point, allowing for the calculation of the flux and current values.