1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Flux and nonconducting shells

1. Apr 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Flux and nonconducting shells. A charged particle is suspended at the center of two concentric spherical shells that are very thin and made of nonconducting material. Figure (a) below shows a cross section. Figure (b) below gives the net flux Φ through a Gaussian sphere centered on the particle, as a function of the radius r of the sphere. The scale of the vertical axis is set by Φs = 17.0 × 10^5 N·m^2/C. (a) What is the charge of the central particle? Give your answers in µC. What are the net charges of (b) shell A and (c) shell B?

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c23/pict_23_12.gif

2. Relevant equations

EoI = qenc

3. The attempt at a solution

So I got the measurement of each scale on the graph by dividing Φs by 5 which gave me: 3.4x10^5 N m^2/C

For a) I used EoI = qenc and got 6.018 C which was correct.

now for part b) I found the flux to be -13.6x10^5 N m^2/C. Now finding that I was able to find the q for that area. I found the area to be -1.2036x10^5 C. Now in order to find the net charge for shell a, I subtracted the charge of the central particle which was found in part a) to the charge found in part b) which gave me -1.8054x10^-5 C. But that answer was wrong.

I must have the logic wrong for part b). Can anyone help me out :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure that you are entering your data in units of [tex] \mu C [/tex]?

4. Apr 5, 2010 #3
    yes I have converted them to nano C

5. Apr 6, 2010 #4

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't you mean micro coulombs? For example, if your calculated answer was -1.8054x10^-5 C, which is -18.054x10-6 C, which is -18.054 µC, meaning you should enter in -18.054.

(It says in the problem statement, "Give your answers in µC.")

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook