1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux Calculation

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I have a simple problem for you. If we have an isotropic particle density n(r,E) where r is the radius and E the energy in a sphere of radius R, What would be the particle flux over a single side of a detector of area A inside the sphere?
    What would it be also if the detector's acceptance would be D?
    The first aproach i have tried is that the flux should be around n*V/4pi where n is the particle density and v the mean velocity of the particles and 4pi the total solid angle.The flux over one side of the detector should be 1/2 of the total flux as it is isotropic.
    In the case of the acceptance of the detector, simply multiplying the total flux n*v/4pi by the acceptance would be the flux over the detector´s surface.
    Thanx and regards.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2007 #2
    I have tried the following course; if the surface detector is squared shape with Area equal to A ,then, integrating over the solid angle from the surface of the detector to a random point of an arbitrary surface concentric and coaxial with the detector(lets say a cube), we have that the acceptance will be pi*A.(The result of integrating the product of the differential area of the surface and the solid angle ).
    With this, the flux in the detector would be the total flux,ie n*v/4pi multiplied by pi*A.
    I'm not sure if this approach is correct, so any suggestion will be welcome.
    Thanks in advanced

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?