1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux from divergence

1. Apr 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose [tex] \vec{G} [/tex] is a vector field with the property that [tex] div\vec{G} = 5 [/tex] for [tex] 2 \leq ||\vec{r}|| \leq 14 [/tex] and that the flux of [tex] \vec{G} [/tex] through the sphere of radius 4 centered at the origin is [tex] 20\pi [/tex]. Find the flux of through the sphere of radius 12 centered at the origin.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

what I tried so far is

[tex] 20\pi \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{12} \rho^2 sin(\phi)d\rho d\phi d\theta [/tex]

is this wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No integration is needed for this problem. The flux through the region 2 < R < 4 is just

5(volume of region 2 < R < 4)

by the divergence theorem. Use this, together with the fact that the flux through 0 < R < 4 is 20π, to find the flux through the region 0 < R < 2.

Can you see how to take it from here?

4. Apr 29, 2009 #3
    ok so after I got the flux through region 2< r< 4and through 0 < r< 4 I just substract it right?

5. Apr 29, 2009 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but in which order are you going to do the subtraction?

6. Apr 29, 2009 #5
    it's the 0<r<4 - 2<r<4 correct?

7. Apr 29, 2009 #6

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook