1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux in 3 dimensions

1. Nov 25, 2009 #1

zcd

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the flux of field [tex]\mathbf{F}=x\mathbf{i}+y\mathbf{j}+z\mathbf{k}[/tex] across the portion of the sphere [tex]x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}=4[/tex] in the first octant in the direction away from the origin in three ways:

a. using formula for flux when sphere is a level surface
    b. using formula for flux when sphere is a parametric surface
    c. using Stoke's theorem

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]S=\iint \limits_{R}\frac{|\nabla f|}{|\nabla f\cdot\hat{p}|}dA[/tex]

[tex]Flux=\iint \limits_{S} \mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{n} d\sigma=\iiint \limits_{V}\nabla\cdot\mathbf{F}dV[/tex]

Stoke's theorem (I thought Stoke's theorem involved circulation and curl)?
    [tex]\oint \limits_{C} \mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{r}=\iint \limits_{S}\nabla\times\mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{n}d\sigma[/tex]

Divergence theorem (we haven't learned this yet but I think it will apply better than stoke's theorem for part c)
    [tex]\iint \limits_{S}\mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{n}d\sigma=\iiint \limits_{D} \nabla\cdot\mathbf{F}dV[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    for part a:
    [tex]Flux=\iint \limits_{S} \mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{n} d\sigma=\iiint \limits_{V}\nabla\cdot\mathbf{F}dV[/tex]
    the gradient vector is always perpendicular to a surface f(x,y,z)=c, so [tex]\mathbf{n}=\frac{\nabla f}{|\nabla f|}[/tex]
    this should lead to [tex]\iint \limits_{S} \frac{(\mathbf{F}\cdot\nabla f)|\nabla f|}{|\nabla f||\nabla f\cdot\hat{p}|}dA[/tex]
    after some simplifying and conversion to polar coordinates...
    [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2} r^{3}+r\sqrt{4-r^{2}}dr d\theta=...=\frac{40\pi}{3}[/tex]

I temporarily skipped part b cause of the work involved for finding [tex]d\sigma=|\frac{\partial{\mathbf{r}}}{\partial{\phi}}\times\frac{\partial{\mathbf{r}}}{\partial{\theta}}|d\phi d\theta[/tex]

for part c:
    using divergence theorem to find flux-
    [tex]\nabla\cdot\mathbf{F}=\frac{\partial{M}}{\partial{x}}+\frac{\partial{N}}{\partial{y}}+\frac{\partial{P}}{\partial{z}}=3[/tex]
    [tex]\iint \limits_{S}\mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{n}d\sigma=\iiint \limits_{D} \nabla\cdot\mathbf{F}dV[/tex]
    [tex]=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2}3\rho^{2}\sin\phi}d\rho d\phi d\theta=...=32\pi[/tex]

and here's where I have the problem. The same flux from two different methods should not be different. Where in my work did I go wrong?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are given just a portion of a sphere which is in the first octant. There is no volume enclosed by it so the divergence theorem is irrelevant. The sphere is cut off by the 3 coordinate planes.

4. Nov 25, 2009 #3

zcd

I overlooked the part about being in first octant, but how would I apply Stoke's theorem to find flux of the field across a surface? I thought Stoke's theorem was flux of the curl of the field?

Reworking part a:
    [tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}d\theta\int_{0}^{2}\frac{4r}{\sqrt{4-r^{2}}}dr=4\pi[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  5. Nov 25, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree Stokes' theorem doesn't seem appropriate since your [itex]\vec F[/itex] is not the curl of a field. Your answer or [itex]4\pi[/itex] is correct.

6. Nov 25, 2009 #5

zcd

Thanks for the verification. Is there another theorem I can use to finish the problem? Or should I just solve for circulation and give 0 as an answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook