Calculating Magnetic Flux in a Toroidal Inductor

In summary, the conversation discusses a 4.50 mH toroidal inductor with 125 coils and a current of 11.5 A. The goal is to find the amount of magnetic flux passing through each coil. Using the equation φ = (inductance/current), the resulting value is 3.91*10^-4 Wb. However, after realizing that the inductance should be multiplied by the current, the correct answer is 5.18*10^-2 Wb.
jhexp

Homework Statement

A 4.50 mH toroidal inductor has 125 identical equally spaced coils.

4.5 mH = .0045 H (Wb/A)
N = 125
I = 11.5 A
φ = ? - this is what we're finding

If it carries an 11.5 A current, how much magnetic flux passes through each of its coils?

Homework Equations

I'm really blank on this one. I know that the units for the magnetic flux, φ, will be in units Wb. My educated guess is that the equation will be φ = inductance/current.

The Attempt at a Solution

φ = (.0045 H)/(11.5 A) = 3.91*10^-4 Wb
I divided that by 125 and got 3.13*10^-6 Wb

Likes MadelineChoate
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah shi. How dumb of me. Just after posting I realized that I should multiply the inductance by the current and got the correct answer.

nvm, got it.

What is a flux in toroidal inductor?

A flux in toroidal inductor is a type of inductor that has a toroidal, or doughnut-shaped, core. This core is typically made of a ferromagnetic material such as iron, and is wound with a wire to create an electromagnetic field. The flux, or magnetic lines of force, that pass through the core are what allow the inductor to store energy.

How is the flux in a toroidal inductor calculated?

The flux in a toroidal inductor can be calculated using the formula Φ = B × A, where Φ is the flux in webers, B is the magnetic field strength in teslas, and A is the cross-sectional area of the core in square meters. The magnetic field strength can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 × (N × I) / L, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current flowing through the coil, and L is the length of the core.

Why is flux important in a toroidal inductor?

Flux is important in a toroidal inductor because it is what allows the inductor to store energy. When a current flows through the wire winding, it creates a magnetic field in the core. This magnetic field stores energy in the form of flux, and when the current is turned off, the flux collapses and releases this energy. This makes inductors useful in a variety of applications, such as in power supplies, filters, and electronic circuits.

How does the flux in a toroidal inductor affect its inductance?

The amount of flux in a toroidal inductor directly affects its inductance, which is a measure of the inductor's ability to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. A higher flux means a higher inductance, and vice versa. This is because the magnetic field strength is directly proportional to the amount of flux, and the inductance is directly proportional to the product of the magnetic field strength and the number of turns in the coil.

What factors can affect the flux in a toroidal inductor?

There are a few factors that can affect the flux in a toroidal inductor. One is the permeability of the core material, which determines how easily the core can be magnetized and how much flux it can hold. Another is the number of turns in the coil, which affects the magnetic field strength and therefore the amount of flux. Other factors include the current flowing through the coil, the size and shape of the core, and any external magnetic fields that may be present.