1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux integral help

1. Nov 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Well, I'm trying to take advance in my course and learn about how to calculate flux integrals. I have a few problems I can try out but I can't seem to understand the method they are using to solve the problems.

2. Relevant equations

I don't know..

All I have is int(surface) v x dA

3. The attempt at a solution

For example, I tried doing one of the problems. The question asks me to find the flux of the vectorial field through the surface.

F = yj through the square of sides 4 in the plane y=5. The square is centered on the y axis, its sides are parallel to the axis' and is oriented in the positive y direction.

Now I was trying to figure out some sort of method of how to solve problems like these.

This is what I did. I replaced y=5 in the equation F=yj and then multiplied it by the orientation which gave me F = 5. In this case, my dA was jdxdy.

From there, I had a double integral such as int(0,4) int(0,4) F x dA.

int(0,4) int(0,4) 5dxdz = 80

That does give me the correct answer but I want to know if the way I got to it is correct. If its not, are there any equations or other information that I should know about. None are given in the book :(.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?