1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux Integral

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    EDIT: NEVER MIND, I got 32/3 for the very next question, so I'm pretty sure the answer that I was comparing this to from the back of my textbook has a typo for the question number. If anyone still wants to check this, that would be OK but I'm pretty sure it's correct.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let F(x,y,z) = <2x,-3y,z> be the velocity vector (in m/s) of a fluid particle at the point (x,y,z) in steady state fluid flow.
    a) Find the net volume of fluid that passes in the upward firection through the portion of the plane x+y+z=1 in the first octant in 1 s.
    b) Assuming that the fluid has a mass density of 806 kg/m^3, find the net mass of fluid that passes in the upward direction through the surface in part (a) in 1 s.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\Phi = \int\int F \cdot (r_u \times r_v) dA [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    First to parametrize the surface:
    x = u; y = v; z = 1 - u - v
    [tex]r_u = <1, 0, -1> [/tex]
    [tex]r_v = <0, 1, -1> [/tex]
    [tex]r_u \times r_v = <1,1,1>[/tex]

[tex]\Phi = \int\int F \cdot (r_u \times r_v) dA [/tex]
    [tex]=\int\int <2u,-3v,(1-u-v)> \cdot <1,1,1> dA [/tex]
    [tex]=\int\int (2u - 3v + 1 - u - v) dA [/tex]
    [tex]=\int_0^1 \int_0^{1-u} (1 + u - 4v) dv du [/tex]
    [tex]=\int_0^1 {(v + uv - 2v^2)}_0^{1-u} du [/tex]
    [tex]=\int_0^1 ((1-u) + u(1-u) - 2(1-u)^2) du [/tex]
    [tex]=\int_0^1 (-1-3u^2+4u) du [/tex]

which equals 0 m^3. This means that the net mass of the fluid that passes through the surface is also 0 kg. BUT the back of the textbook says the answer to part (b) is 32/3. Did I mess up somewhere?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?