• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Flux Integrals

• Thread starter dwn
  • Start date
dwn

Homework Statement

Attached Image

Homework Equations

this is not a simple plane curve or a close plane curve so I use the formula:
∫ F ⋅ dr/dt dt

The Attempt at a Solution

From the point (0,0) to (2,4)
Direction Vector v(t) = <2-0, 4-0>
Parametric Equation:
r(t) = (2t + 0) i + (4t + 0) j
r'(t) = 2i + 4j

∴ F(x(t),y(t)) = (4t)2i + 2(2t)(4t)j = (16t2)i + (16t2)j
F(x(t),y(t)) ⋅ r'(t) =( (16t2)i + (16t2)j ) ⋅ (2i + 4j) = 32t2 + 64t2

I feel my math is correct which leads me to believe my approach is incorrect. The final answer is supposed to be 32 evaluated from 0 to 2.

But if I finished my integral : ∫ 96t2dt = 32t3

Can someone please help me.

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Attached Image

Homework Equations

∫ F ⋅ dr/dt dt

The Attempt at a Solution

From the point (0,0) to (2,4)
Direction Vector v(t) = <2-0, 4-0>
Parametric Equation:
r(t) = (2t + 0) i + (4t + 0) j
r'(t) = 2i + 4j

∴ F(x(t),y(t)) = (4t)2i + 2(2t)(4t)j = (16t2)i + (16t2)j
F(x(t),y(t)) ⋅ r'(t) =( (16t2)i + (16t2)j ) ⋅ (2i + 4j) = 32t2 + 64t2

I feel my math is correct which leads me to believe my approach is incorrect. The final answer is supposed to be 32 evaluated from 0 to 2.

But if I finished my integral : ∫ 96t2dt = 32t3

Can someone please help me.
The parameter t should run from 0 to 1, rather than 0 to 2. Plug these limits into your flux integral and everything should work out.

Try the next path.

dwn
The parameter t should run from 0 to 1, rather than 0 to 2. Plug these limits into your flux integral and everything should work out.

Try the next path.
Thank you for your help. I had considered that but I'm still not confident on how interval is defined. Would you mind explaining that to me? All of the examples I see in the book simply set the interval from 0 to 1. Is this always the case?

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Thank you for your help. I had considered that but I'm still not confident on how interval is defined. Would you mind explaining that to me? All of the examples I see in the book simply set the interval from 0 to 1. Is this always the case?
It doesn't have to be, but the interval from 0 to 1 is usually the simplest to evaluate.

The path over which you were evaluating the flux integral was y = 2x, where 0 ≤ x ≤ 2. By choosing the parameterization r(t) = 2t i + 4t j for this path, it is important to check and make sure that by plugging in the limits of t into the parametric equation, you obtain the same values of x and y for the limits of the actual path expression, hence the interval 0 ≤ t ≤ 1 when plugged into r(t) gives (0, 0) and (2, 4) for the end points of the path, which are identical to y = 2x for 0 ≤ x ≤ 2.

You could have specified r(t) = t i + 2t j, for 0 ≤ t ≤ 2, and obtained the same evaluation for the flux integral after making the appropriate integration.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
There are an infinite number of ways to set up parametric equations for a curve. Myself, since in both of these y is a function of x, I would have just used x itself as parameter. In the first, y= 2x so that [itex]F(x, y)= y^2\vec{i}+ 2xy\vec{j}= (2x)^2\vec{i}+ 2x(2x)\vec{j}=4x^2\vec{i}+ 4x^2\vec{j}[/itex]. Since y= 2x, dy= 2dx and [itex]d\vec{r}= dx\vec{i}+ dy\vec{j}= dx\vec{i}+ 2dx\vec{j}= (\vec{i}+ 2\vec{j})dx[/itex]. The integral becomes
[itex]\int_0^2 (4x^2\vec{i}+ 4x^2\vec{j})\cdot(\vec{i}+ 2\vec{j})dx= \int_0^2 (4x^2+ 8x^2) dx= 12\int_0^2 x^2 dx[/itex].
The limits of integration are 0 and 2, of course, because the variable of integration is x and x goes from 2 to 4.

Similarly, the second integral is over the curve [itex]y= x^2[/itex] so that [itex]F(x, y)= y^2\vec{i}+ 2xy\vec{j}= (x^2)^2\vec{i}+ 2x(x^2)\vec{j}= x^4\vec{i}+ 2x^3\vec{j}[/itex]. Further, since [itex]y= x^2[/itex], [itex]dy= 2xdx[/itex] so that [itex]d\vec{r}= dx\vec{i}+ dy\vec{j}= dx\vec{i}+ 2xdx\vec{j}= (\vec{i}+ 2x\vec{j})dx[/itex]. The integral becomes
[itex]\int_0^2 (x^4\vec{i}+ 4x^2\vec{j})\cdot (\vec{i}+ 2x\vec{j})dx= \int_0^2( x^4+ 8x^3) dx[/itex].

Again, the limits of integration are 0 to 2 because x is the variable of integration and x goes from 0 to 2.