1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux of the vector field

1. Apr 29, 2006 #1
    Let S be the part of the plane 3x+y+z=4 which lies in the first octant, oriented upward. Find the flux of the vector field F=4i+2j+3k across the surface S.

[tex]\int \int F\cdot dS = \int int \left( -P \frac{\partial g}{\partial x} -Q \frac{\partial g}{\partial y} +R \right) dA[/tex]

[tex]\int \int \left( -4(-3)-2(-1)+4-3x-y \right) dA[/tex]
    [tex]\int \int \left( 18-3x-y \right) dA[/tex]

how do I find the ends of integration?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2006 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

UrbanXrisis, I really don't understand what you did.

What I would have done is
    [tex]\int \int F\cdot dS = \int \int \left(F\cdot \hat{n}\right) \left(\frac{dxdy}{\hat{n}\cdot\hat{k}}\right)[/tex]

where, [itex] \hat{n} [/itex] is the unit normal to the plane. That is, to evaluate the surface integral, I'm simply projecting the surface to the x-y plane and integrating.

Now to find the ends of integration, just project the surface to the x-y plane. In this case, you will get a triangle. From that, you can find the limits of integration
  4. Apr 30, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

5. Apr 18, 2009 #4
    I have a similar question to this, with F = 7xi+yj+zk and plane z + 4x + 2y = 12. so what I did was (7xi+ yj+ zk) . (4i+ 2j+ k), is this correct?
  6. Apr 20, 2009 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?