1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux problem

1. Apr 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the surface integral of F*n (the flux) where n is the upward-pointing unit normal vector to the plane z = 3x+2 that lies within the cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 4. F = <0, 2y, 3z>

2. The attempt at a solution

The normal vector is <3,0,1> so that F*n = 3z. dS equals sqrt(10). I transform to polar coordinates and integrate 3*sqrt(10)*(3r^2*cos(theta) + 2r) over the cylinder. The answer I get is 24sqrt(10)*pi, while the correct answer is 24*pi. Does this mean that dS=1? Why?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You said n is a unit vector. Then you said n=<3,0,1>. That's not a unit vector. <3,0,1>/sqrt(10) is.

4. Apr 28, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Time for me to rush to battle again! I fight constantly against the very notation "[itex]\vec{f}\cdot\vec{n}d\sigma[/itex]" because if you follow that literally, computing [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] and [itex]d\sigma[/itex] separately you wind up calculating the length of a vector twice and then watch them cancel out! (Unless you forget one of them!)

In this problem, we can write the position vector of a point on the plane as [itex]\vec{r}(x,y)= x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ (3x+ 2)\vec{k}[/itex].
    Differentiating: [itex]\vec{r}_x= \vec{i}+ 3\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}_y= \vec{j}[/itex]. The cross product of those two vectors, [itex]-3\vec{i}+ \vec{k}[/itex], is the "fundamental vector product" for the plane and the vector differential of area, [itex]d\vec{\sigma}[/itex] is [itex](-3\vec{i}+ \vec{k})dxdy[/itex].

Now [itex]\int\int \vec{F}\cdot\vec{d\sigma}[/itex] [itex]= \int\int (2y\vec{j}+ 3z\vec{k})\cdot(-3\vec{i}+ \vec{k})dxdy[/itex] [itex]= \int\int 3z dxdy= 3\int\int (3x+ 2)dxdy[/itex].

Integrate that over the circle of radius 2.

Obviously the way to do that is to switch to polar coordinates. We could do that right at the beginning:
    write [itex]\vec{r}(r,\theta)= rcos(\theta)\vec{i}+ rsin(\theta)\vec{j}+ (3rcos(\theta)+ 2)\vec{k}[/itex], differentiate with respect to r and [itex]\theta[/itex] and the "r" you need for rdrd[itex]\theta[/itex] pops out automatically!

[Here endeth the sermon]

5. Apr 28, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Amen. It is clearer to keep the volume and the direction information in the same package.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?