Surface Integral of Flux on Plane with Normal Vector and Cylinder

• Thread starter kasse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux
In summary, the problem asks for the evaluation of the surface integral of F*n, where n is the upward-pointing unit normal vector to the plane z = 3x+2 that lies within the cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 4. F = <0, 2y, 3z>. The position vector of a point on the plane is written as <x, y, 3x+2>, and the cross product of its partial derivatives is used to calculate the vector differential of area. The surface integral is then transformed into polar coordinates and integrated over the circle of radius 2. The final answer is given as 24*pi.
kasse

Homework Statement

Evaluate the surface integral of F*n (the flux) where n is the upward-pointing unit normal vector to the plane z = 3x+2 that lies within the cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 4. F = <0, 2y, 3z>

2. The attempt at a solution

The normal vector is <3,0,1> so that F*n = 3z. dS equals sqrt(10). I transform to polar coordinates and integrate 3*sqrt(10)*(3r^2*cos(theta) + 2r) over the cylinder. The answer I get is 24sqrt(10)*pi, while the correct answer is 24*pi. Does this mean that dS=1? Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
You said n is a unit vector. Then you said n=<3,0,1>. That's not a unit vector. <3,0,1>/sqrt(10) is.

Time for me to rush to battle again! I fight constantly against the very notation "[itex]\vec{f}\cdot\vec{n}d\sigma[/itex]" because if you follow that literally, computing [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] and [itex]d\sigma[/itex] separately you wind up calculating the length of a vector twice and then watch them cancel out! (Unless you forget one of them!)

In this problem, we can write the position vector of a point on the plane as [itex]\vec{r}(x,y)= x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ (3x+ 2)\vec{k}[/itex].
Differentiating: [itex]\vec{r}_x= \vec{i}+ 3\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}_y= \vec{j}[/itex]. The cross product of those two vectors, [itex]-3\vec{i}+ \vec{k}[/itex], is the "fundamental vector product" for the plane and the vector differential of area, [itex]d\vec{\sigma}[/itex] is [itex](-3\vec{i}+ \vec{k})dxdy[/itex].

Now [itex]\int\int \vec{F}\cdot\vec{d\sigma}[/itex] [itex]= \int\int (2y\vec{j}+ 3z\vec{k})\cdot(-3\vec{i}+ \vec{k})dxdy[/itex] [itex]= \int\int 3z dxdy= 3\int\int (3x+ 2)dxdy[/itex].

Integrate that over the circle of radius 2.

Obviously the way to do that is to switch to polar coordinates. We could do that right at the beginning:
write [itex]\vec{r}(r,\theta)= rcos(\theta)\vec{i}+ rsin(\theta)\vec{j}+ (3rcos(\theta)+ 2)\vec{k}[/itex], differentiate with respect to r and [itex]\theta[/itex] and the "r" you need for rdrd[itex]\theta[/itex] pops out automatically!

[Here endeth the sermon]

Amen. It is clearer to keep the volume and the direction information in the same package.

1. What is a surface integral of flux?

A surface integral of flux is a mathematical concept that calculates the amount of fluid or energy flowing through a surface. It takes into account the direction and speed of the fluid or energy, along with the orientation of the surface.

2. What is a normal vector in relation to a surface integral of flux?

A normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a surface. In the context of a surface integral of flux, it represents the direction in which the fluid or energy is flowing through the surface.

3. How is a surface integral of flux calculated?

A surface integral of flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the velocity vector and the normal vector at each point on the surface, and then integrating over the entire surface.

4. What is the difference between a plane and a cylinder in a surface integral of flux?

In a surface integral of flux, a plane is a flat surface with no curvature, while a cylinder is a curved surface. The normal vector for a plane is constant, while the normal vector for a cylinder varies depending on the location on the surface.

5. What are some real-life applications of a surface integral of flux on a plane with normal vector and cylinder?

Surface integrals of flux have many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the flow of fluids through pipes or designing wind turbines. They are also used in fields like meteorology to study air flow patterns and in electrical engineering to analyze electromagnetic fields.