Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux Problem

1. Oct 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the flux of x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4a^2 through F = (x+yz)i + (y-zx)j + (z-e^x * siny)k
    directly without using divergence theorem.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Using spherical coordinates I achieve N = 4asin(phi)cos(theta) i + 4asin(phi)sin(theta) j + 4asin(phi)cos(phi) k

But when subbing in spherical to F, then F dot N, I can only simplify to a very messy integral of: -8a^3sin(phi) + 4a^2cos(phi)sin(phi) * e^(2sin(phi)cos(theta) * sin(2asin(phi)sin(theta)

Any help would be appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is the radius of that sphere [itex]4a[/itex] or [itex]2a[/itex]?...Is that the unit normal to the surface?:wink:

4. Oct 21, 2010 #3
    xsrC2.png

and yes radius is 2a

5. Oct 21, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your integrand should be

[tex]8a^3\sin\phi - 4a^2\sin\phi\cos\phi e^{2a\sin\phi\cos\theta}\sin(2a\sin\phi\sin\theta)[/tex]

6. Oct 21, 2010 #5
    okay I forgot the a on my e^(...) and I simply used -N so the switch of signs means nothing. Where do I go from here? Or is there another way to approach this problem? Stokes Theorem?

7. Oct 21, 2010 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Of course, the divergence theorem is the easy and obvious way but you ruled that out.

However, you almost have it. Notice that your second term is an odd function of theta. That means if you integrate theta from -pi to pi (which is just as good as 0 to 2pi) you will get zero. So all that is left is to do the double integral on the first term.

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^\pi -8a^2 \sin\phi\ d\phi d\theta[/tex]

which will give you the same answer as the trivial application of the divergence theorem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook