Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux rule for motional emf

1. Aug 31, 2012 #1
    The flux rule for motional emf can be stated as:

d[itex]\phi[/itex]/dt = -[itex]\epsilon[/itex]

I have some questions regarding this. 1) Should I find this rule intuitive?
    And secondly a proof of this rule is given in my book, which I have attached. I don't really understand the idea of the proof - is the idea to proof the above rule or to just proof that if it works, it will do so for loops, which "do not even maintain a fixed shape". Because the words seem to suggest the later but on the other hand that would mean that the above rule is generally unproved in my book.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2012 #2
    Just answering 1: You may find it intuitive by means of Lenz's law, which is a qualitative version of the above. It has similarity to Newton's third law, in the sense of action is reaction.

4. Aug 31, 2012 #3
    okay but Lenz' law is just a more qualitative statement of the flux rule - but perhaps there isn't more to it.
    What about 2)? That one was more of a puzzle to me.

5. Sep 3, 2012 #4
    It seems to prove the flux rule from their definition of flux plus the Lorentz force law. Both should appear earlier in the text.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook