1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux through a cube with non uniform electric field

1. Oct 2, 2004 #1
    This is really frusterating me, my book provides horrible examples and i have no idea how to go about this problem.
    There is a cube with sides L= .3m and an electric field = (-5 N/C X m) x i +(3 N/C x m) z k i= i hat k= k hat
    I know that the flux = the integral of the E . dA (dot product), but the form that i have for the electric field is not making sense to me.
    How can i find the electric flux through the faces of a cube when i am given the electric field mentioned above?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2004 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm guessing a bit, but it sounds like the electric field at a point (x,y,z) is

-5 x newtons/columb-meter in the [tex]\hat i[/tex] direction, and
    3 z newtons/columb-meter in the [tex] \hat k[/tex] direction.

Usually [tex] \hat i[/tex] points in the x direction, [tex]\hat j[/tex] points in the y direction, and [tex]\hat k[/tex] points in the z direction. Does this sound right?

If so, it shouldn't be too hard to integrate the flux through a cube face....

4. Oct 3, 2004 #3
    i'm still lost

5. Oct 3, 2004 #4
    What pervect is trying to say in fewer words than I'm about to say is you have the field given by -5x + 3z. The flux is the integral of E dot dA right? However, since dA does not change on each face throughout the face E dot dA becomes E*A for each face. Sum the flux on each face up. I'll help you out with a little of the math:

The cube has one face facing the positive and negative directions for x, y and z. For example, the flux on the face pointing in the positive/negative x direction is <-5x, 0, 3z> * (0.3^2). The only difference is the value of x for each face, where <i, j, k> is a vector. Now sum up all 6 faces (you can ignore the ones facing the +y and -y directions)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?