Flux through a loop of wire in a magnetic field.

In summary, the equation for flux is (B)(A)[cos(theta)], where theta is the angle between the normal to the plane of the loop and the magnetic field. In this case, the normal is parallel to the magnetic field, making the angle 0 degrees. Therefore, the cosine of 0 degrees is 1, and the flux passing through the loop is (4.5)(.10)(1) = 0 Tm^2. The review sheet is incorrect in stating that the answer is .45 Tm^2, as that would only be true if the equation was for the sine of theta instead of the cosine.
einsteinoid

Homework Statement

A uniform 4.5 T magnetic field passes perpendicularly through the plane of a wire loop .10 m^2 in area. What flux passes through the loop?

Homework Equations

Flux = (B)(A)[cos(theta)]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, according to my understanding. The equation should be set up as such:

flux = (4.5)(.10)[Cos(90)]

The cosine of 90 degrees, obviously, is zero therefore there should be no flux through the wire loop, correct? The answer sheet to this review is saying that the answer to this problem is

(b) .45 Tm^2

This would be true if the equation was the "sine of theta" rather than the cosine of theta, right? Is my equation wrong or is the review sheet wrong?!

Thanks,

-Will

Physics news on Phys.org
The normal to the plane of the loop is parallel to the B-field.

With respect to area, the area vector is perpendicular (normal) to the area surface by convention.

Astronuc said:
The normal to the plane of the loop is parallel to the B-field.

With respect to area, the area vector is perpendicular (normal) to the area surface by convention.

And perpendicular = 90 degrees, so my equation should reduce to zero because the cosine of 90 degrees is zero?

Or am I missing the point of your post? lol

Oh i get it! Haha, duh.

The normal is perpendicular to the surface making the angle 0 degrees. Cosine of 0 is 1. Yeah, I'm running on very little sleep, lol.

thanks, Astronuc.

1. What is flux through a loop of wire in a magnetic field?

Flux, in the context of electromagnetism, refers to the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area. When a loop of wire is placed in a magnetic field, the flux through the loop is the measure of the magnetic field passing through the loop.

2. How is flux through a loop of wire calculated?

The flux through a loop of wire can be calculated using the formula Φ = B x A x cosθ, where Φ is the flux, B is the magnetic field strength, A is the area of the loop, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop.

3. What factors affect the flux through a loop of wire?

The flux through a loop of wire is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the loop, and the orientation of the loop relative to the magnetic field. It is also affected by the material of the loop, with different materials having different permeabilities.

4. What is the SI unit of flux through a loop of wire?

The SI unit of flux is the Weber (Wb), which is equal to one Tesla-meter squared (T·m²). It is named after the German physicist Wilhelm Eduard Weber.

5. How does the flux through a loop of wire change if the magnetic field is varied?

If the magnetic field passing through a loop of wire is changed, the flux through the loop will also change. This is because the amount of magnetic field passing through the loop, and therefore the flux, is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. If the magnetic field is increased, the flux will increase, and vice versa.