1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux through each face on a cube

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A point charge q is placed at one corner of a cube of edge a. What is the flux through each of the cube faces?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew a diagram of the situation. I'm pretty sure that I should use Gauss' Law and some symmetry arguments but I am not sure how to integrate over the cubes faces taking into account that the electric field produced by the point charge is radially outwards, like a sphere cutting through the face of the cube ( poorly described I know, sorry).

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2
    By Gauss's Law, the flux through the whole cube is just [tex] 6q/\epsilon_0 [/tex]. Now, apply a simple symmetry argument to get the answer.

4. May 4, 2009 #3
    I'm not sure why is it 6q ? If there is only one charge of magnitude 1q surely the flux is

[tex]
    q/\epsilon_0
    [/tex]

5. May 4, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right: The total flux from that charge is just q/ε0. So what's the total flux through the cube? Through each face of the cube? (No integration needed, just symmetry.)

6. May 4, 2009 #5
    Ah right I see now. Thanks very much, was thinking about this completely the wrong way.

7. May 6, 2009 #6
    So...
    What is the answer you are getting?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook