Fly-By of Planets: How Does it Work & Get Energy?

• Thread starter airbuzz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planets
In summary, fly-by is a technique used to accelerate spacecrafts by utilizing the gravitational pull of a planet. The spacecraft gains kinetic energy from the planet's orbital velocity while passing by, resulting in a slingshot effect. This allows the spacecraft to have more energy than before the fly-by.
airbuzz
How does fly-by works? How is it possible that after fly-by I have more energy than before? Where do I take it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I thought fly by of planets used the gravity of the planet to "sling-shot" the object past. Stuff like the mission to Saturn/ titan used it to accellerate the craft since the launcher was not powerful enough.

I know what it does, but I don´t understand how it works...
When I come closer to a planet i accelerate because some of my potential energy transforms in kinetic. The opposite happens when I get far from it. But with fly-by they obtain a kinetic energy bigger than the initial potential energy. From where arrives this energy? I think from the planet, but how?

The passing satellite picks up the ORBITAL velocity (at least a portion of it) of the body it is passing. You are correct that all energy gained from entering the gravity well of the planetary body is lost on exit. But all the time the satellite is in the gravitational influence of the planetary body it is being drug along with the orbital motion. This is the slingshot velocity.

Integral said:
The passing satellite picks up the ORBITAL velocity (at least a portion of it) of the body it is passing. You are correct that all energy gained from entering the gravity well of the planetary body is lost on exit. But all the time the satellite is in the gravitational influence of the planetary body it is being drug along with the orbital motion. This is the slingshot velocity.

Great!
I was thinking something like that. Thank you very much!

1. What is a fly-by of planets and how does it work?

A fly-by of planets, also known as a gravitational slingshot or gravity assist maneuver, is a technique used by spacecraft to gain speed and change direction by utilizing the gravitational pull of a planet. The spacecraft flies close to the planet, using its gravity to increase its velocity and redirect its path.

2. How does a fly-by of planets provide energy to a spacecraft?

A fly-by of planets can provide energy to a spacecraft in two ways. Firstly, the spacecraft gains kinetic energy as it accelerates due to the gravitational pull of the planet. Secondly, it can also conserve energy by using the planet's gravity to deflect its path, saving fuel that would otherwise be needed for course corrections.

3. Which planets are typically used for fly-bys?

The planets that are most commonly used for fly-bys are Jupiter and Saturn, due to their large size and strong gravitational pull. However, other planets such as Venus, Earth, and Neptune have also been used for fly-bys in various space missions.

4. What are the benefits of using a fly-by of planets in space exploration?

Fly-bys of planets allow spacecraft to travel further and faster than they could by using their own propulsion systems. This technique also allows for more efficient use of fuel and can extend the lifespan of the spacecraft. Additionally, fly-bys can provide valuable opportunities for scientific research and data collection.

5. Are there any risks or challenges associated with fly-bys of planets?

While fly-bys of planets have proven to be a successful and useful technique in space exploration, there are also some risks and challenges involved. These include the potential for the spacecraft to collide with a moon or other object in the planet's orbit, as well as the precise calculations and timing required for a successful fly-by maneuver.