Why can't a piece of yarn be used like a bullwhip in fly fishing?

• I
  • Thread starter Jim Alexander
  • Start date
In summary, Jim is seeking clarification on the physics behind fly casting and the design of tapered leaders. He is familiar with some electrical engineering concepts but has limited knowledge in mechanics. He has read an article by Jeff Kommers on the subject but is having trouble finding more information. Jim is hoping to better understand the energy transfer and landing of the fly on the water.
Jim Alexander
I am new, thanks in advance for the help. I have had some electrical engineering in the past, but mechanics were never my strong suit. I remember some calc and physics, but I am rusty.
I am a fly fisher, and I am studying fly casting to better my understanding of designing my own tapered leaders.
my question is, why can't you crack a piece of yarn like a bullwhip? I am trying to understand how the taper of the fly line to a thin, flexible element suddenly "looses" energy so the fly lands gently on the water after all the muscle of getting the fly line such a far distance out.
thanks,
Jim

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. Not definitive but a magazine article about some calculations by Jeff Kommers - then at MIT.

http://discovermagazine.com/2008/the-body/18-the-whip-like-physics-of-fly-fishing

I cannot google a published paper - probably my problem somehow. Someone else here on PF will know more.

Google ' Fishing line dynamics '

Sorry I was away from the computer for a few days. thanks for the replies. the article by jeff kommers is an interesting one. googling the topic came up with a few things, but even among engineers/scientists who have studied the subject analytically, little is available for leader design but the guess-and-check method. I wish I knew more, to be able to at least narrow down design and expectations before having to load up a rod and test drive it.

thanks to all.

jim

1. What is fly fishing and how does it differ from regular fishing?

Fly fishing is a method of fishing that uses a lightweight artificial fly as bait. It differs from regular fishing in that the fly is cast with a specialized fly rod and line, rather than a traditional fishing rod and bait. The goal of fly fishing is to mimic the movement of insects or other small prey on the water’s surface, rather than using live bait or lures.

2. What type of yarn is best for fly fishing?

The best type of yarn for fly fishing is typically wool yarn, as it is lightweight, floats well, and can be easily dyed to mimic the color of insects or other prey. Anglers may also use synthetic yarns, such as acrylic or nylon, which have similar properties.

3. How is yarn used in fly fishing?

Yarn is used in fly fishing as a material for tying flies. The yarn is wrapped around a hook to create a body for the fly, and may also be used to create a tail or wings. The color and texture of the yarn can be customized to imitate different insects or prey, making it a versatile material for fly fishing.

4. Can any type of yarn be used for fly fishing?

No, not all types of yarn are suitable for fly fishing. The yarn should be lightweight, float well, and be able to hold its shape when wet. Yarns that are too heavy or dense will not work well for fly fishing. Additionally, some types of yarn may not be suitable for certain fish species, so it is important to research and choose the right type of yarn for the desired catch.

5. Can throwing yarn be used as a substitute for fly fishing?

Throwing yarn, or using yarn as bait without a fly rod, is not considered fly fishing. While it may be effective for catching certain fish, it is not the traditional method of fly fishing and may not produce the same results. Additionally, the weight and texture of the yarn may not be suitable for casting with a fly rod.