Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Fly fishing and Throwing yarn

1. Apr 7, 2016 #1
    I am new, thanks in advance for the help. I have had some electrical engineering in the past, but mechanics were never my strong suit. I remember some calc and physics, but I am rusty.
    I am a fly fisher, and I am studying fly casting to better my understanding of designing my own tapered leaders.
    my question is, why can't you crack a piece of yarn like a bullwhip? I am trying to understand how the taper of the fly line to a thin, flexible element suddenly "looses" energy so the fly lands gently on the water after all the muscle of getting the fly line such a far distance out.
    thanks,
    Jim

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2016 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

4. Apr 7, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Google ' Fishing line dynamics '

5. Apr 11, 2016 #4
    Sorry I was away from the computer for a few days. thanks for the replies. the article by jeff kommers is an interesting one. googling the topic came up with a few things, but even among engineers/scientists who have studied the subject analytically, little is available for leader design but the guess-and-check method. I wish I knew more, to be able to at least narrow down design and expectations before having to load up a rod and test drive it.

thanks to all.

jim

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted