1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Fly fishing and Throwing yarn

1. Apr 7, 2016 #1
    I am new, thanks in advance for the help. I have had some electrical engineering in the past, but mechanics were never my strong suit. I remember some calc and physics, but I am rusty.
    I am a fly fisher, and I am studying fly casting to better my understanding of designing my own tapered leaders.
    my question is, why can't you crack a piece of yarn like a bullwhip? I am trying to understand how the taper of the fly line to a thin, flexible element suddenly "looses" energy so the fly lands gently on the water after all the muscle of getting the fly line such a far distance out.
    thanks,
    Jim

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2016 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

4. Apr 7, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Google ' Fishing line dynamics '

5. Apr 11, 2016 #4
    Sorry I was away from the computer for a few days. thanks for the replies. the article by jeff kommers is an interesting one. googling the topic came up with a few things, but even among engineers/scientists who have studied the subject analytically, little is available for leader design but the guess-and-check method. I wish I knew more, to be able to at least narrow down design and expectations before having to load up a rod and test drive it.

thanks to all.

jim

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted