Will a Fly Survive a Car Accident?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a fly surviving a car crash while flying inside the car with the windows closed and the air conditioning off. The group agrees that the fly may lose enough momentum to survive, but there are many factors that could affect the outcome such as the speed of the car and the mass of the fly. Ultimately, it is difficult to determine if the fly would survive the impact without more information.
[initial steve]
Would a fly traveling in a car that hits a brick wall be killed?

Windows closed, fly around the middle of the car.. aircon off :P

Im thinking that the fly would lose enough momentum before it hits the front window or dashboard to survive..

:D

Physics news on Phys.org
i dunno, i mean flys are pretty pudgy (dense)
if it was a butterfly maybe

They generally do not like to die :(

I doubt they would die...

EDIT: It depends on the speed of the car and the mass of the bug I suppose.

well, i think it depends on which part of the body hits the wall first and the speed of the car before collision because mometum is the product of speed and mass of the object and i don't think flying in a car will reduce much velocity by the friction of air and body.

There are way to many unknowns to even consider the question.

1. Will a fly survive a car accident?

It depends on the severity of the accident and where the fly was located at the time. Flies are small and agile, so they may be able to avoid impact or be in a less harmful area of the car.

2. How do flies survive car accidents?

Flies have quick reflexes and are able to sense danger, allowing them to fly away or find a safe spot in the car. They also have a hard exoskeleton which can protect them from some impact.

3. What is the likelihood of a fly surviving a car accident?

The likelihood of a fly surviving a car accident is low, as they are small and fragile creatures. However, due to their quick reflexes and small size, they may have a better chance of survival compared to larger insects.

4. Will a fly be injured in a car accident?

Yes, a fly may be injured in a car accident. Even if it is able to survive the initial impact, it may sustain injuries from flying debris or being thrown around inside the car.

5. Can a fly cause a car accident?

It is very unlikely that a fly would cause a car accident. They are small and do not have the ability to interfere with the driver or the controls of the car. However, they may be a distraction to the driver if they fly into the car's interior.