1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fly in the truck

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    1hey i had a question... my friends and i were pondering.... there was a fly in my cab of my truck and we were doing like 40 mph with the windows up and the fly was flying around in the cab...

i was wondering why the fly wasnt being pushed back towards the back of the truck and why it was able to fly around the cab of my truck

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2
    I would imagine it's simply because all of the air in the cab is also moving along at 40 mph.

i.e. inside the cab is a stationary frame.

As long as the cab isn't accelerating (traveling at a constant speed), you don't feel any force inside the cab. If you were in a sealed box (so you couldn't see outside at all) moving at exactly 40 mph, you would have no idea if you were moving or stationary.

I hope that made sense! It did in my head, but I had a hard time explaining it haha.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?