Optimal Angle to Throw a Stone for Maximum Distance | Flying Away Stone

• Thread starter azatkgz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flying
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the optimal angle to throw a ball so that it always moves away from the thrower. The solution involves considering the velocity of the ball, the angle of the line connecting the starting point and the maximum height, and the distance between the thrower and the ball at different points in time. The problem is then simplified to showing under what conditions a certain quadratic equation has no real roots.
azatkgz

Homework Statement

At which angle we should throw the ball ,so it always flies away from you?

The Attempt at a Solution

Somewhere after the max height the velocity of the stone is tangent to the line joining with the starting point(you can look to the file).Let's say that angle of this line with the ground is [tex]\alpha[/tex] .So [tex]\frac{y}{x}=tan\alpha[/tex] .And i think that stone always goes away when [tex]\frac{mv^2}{R}\geq mgsin\alpha[/tex] .Here we can find everything except R.I don't know what to put in it.

Attachments

• stone.jpg
    stone.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is the question word for word?

For example you throw throw the ball up at 90 degrees to ground.It reaches max height and comes back to you.If you throw,let's say,at 80 degrees.At max height it further to you than when it hits the ground.So at some time it went closer to you.

Write down x(t) and y(t) for the ball with yourself as the origin. Then the squared distance from you to the ball r(t)=x(t)^2+y(t)^2. If it's coming toward you, then r'(t)<0. So you don't want the expression r'(t)=0 to have any real roots. The problem reduces to showing under what conditions a certain quadratic has no real roots.

Great!Thanks Dick.I've found
[tex]sin^2\theta\leq\frac{8}{9}[/tex]

Last edited:
Good job. That was fast! I underestimated you. I should have stopped with the first clue.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Good job. That was fast!

I agree. Nicely done. :smile:

1. What is "Flying away stone"?

"Flying away stone" is a term used to describe a phenomenon where a heavy stone is able to be lifted and carried by a much lighter object, such as a bird or a gust of wind.

2. How does "Flying away stone" occur?

This phenomenon occurs due to the principles of air resistance and lift. When a bird or a strong gust of wind hits the stone at the right angle, it creates a force that is able to lift the stone off the ground.

3. Is "Flying away stone" possible in real life?

Yes, "Flying away stone" is a real phenomenon that has been observed in nature. It is also possible to recreate this phenomenon in controlled experiments using different objects and forces.

4. Are there any other factors that contribute to "Flying away stone"?

Aside from air resistance and lift, the shape and weight distribution of the stone, as well as the strength and direction of the force applied, can also affect the likelihood of "Flying away stone" occurring.

5. What are the potential applications of studying "Flying away stone"?

Studying "Flying away stone" can help us better understand the principles of aerodynamics and how different forces interact with objects. This knowledge can have practical applications in fields such as aviation, engineering, and meteorology.