1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flying into a headwind

1. Sep 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The velocity of an airplane flying into a headwind is given by v(t) = 30(16 - t^2) mi/hr for 0 < t < 3 hr.
    How far has the airplane traveled at the instant its velocity reaches 400 mi/hr?

Assume s(0) = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I would have to find the area under the graph. So basically I have a velocity time graph? So my objective is to find the area under the graph between time 0 and the time where the plane reaches 400 mi/hr.

I tried setting the velocity equation equal to 400 and solving for t, which would give me the time at which the velocity is 400 mi/hr, right? Well that didn't give me the answer that was in the book. What do you think?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The approach looks good. I get about 700 miles. I used integration to get the area accurately. If you would like a critique of your calc, share the details.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook