How do I calculate the distance traveled by an airplane flying into a headwind?

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flying
In summary, the problem involves finding the distance traveled by an airplane at the instant its velocity reaches 400 mi/hr. The velocity equation is v(t) = 30(16 - t^2) mi/hr for 0 < t < 3 hr and the initial distance is assumed to be 0. The suggested solution is to find the area under the graph of the velocity equation between time 0 and the time at which the velocity reaches 400 mi/hr. The approach involves setting the velocity equation equal to 400 and solving for t. However, using integration may yield a more accurate result.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

The velocity of an airplane flying into a headwind is given by v(t) = 30(16 - t^2) mi/hr for 0 < t < 3 hr.
How far has the airplane traveled at the instant its velocity reaches 400 mi/hr?

Assume s(0) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I would have to find the area under the graph. So basically I have a velocity time graph? So my objective is to find the area under the graph between time 0 and the time where the plane reaches 400 mi/hr.

I tried setting the velocity equation equal to 400 and solving for t, which would give me the time at which the velocity is 400 mi/hr, right? Well that didn't give me the answer that was in the book. What do you think?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The approach looks good. I get about 700 miles. I used integration to get the area accurately. If you would like a critique of your calc, share the details.

What is a headwind?

A headwind is a wind that blows directly against the direction of travel of an object, such as an airplane. It can make it more difficult for the object to move forward and can also cause increased air resistance.

Why is flying into a headwind more challenging?

Flying into a headwind is more challenging because it requires the object, such as an airplane, to work harder to move forward. The headwind creates resistance that must be overcome, which can result in slower speeds and increased fuel consumption.

How does a headwind affect an airplane's flight?

A headwind can affect an airplane's flight in several ways. It can cause the airplane to experience increased air resistance, which can result in slower speeds and increased fuel consumption. It can also cause turbulence, making the flight less smooth and potentially impacting the handling of the airplane.

Can a headwind be dangerous for flying?

A headwind can potentially be dangerous for flying, especially if it is strong or unexpected. It can make it more difficult for the airplane to maintain lift, which is necessary for safe flight. It can also cause turbulence, which can be dangerous for both the airplane and its passengers.

How do pilots account for headwinds in flight planning?

Pilots account for headwinds in flight planning by calculating the expected wind speeds and directions along their planned route. They may choose to adjust their altitude or flight path to minimize the impact of headwinds. They also take into account the impact of headwinds on fuel consumption and may need to make adjustments to ensure they have enough fuel for the flight.