Judging the Kite-Flying Contest: Measuring String Tensions

In summary, the conversation is about a judge explaining their method for measuring string tensions in a children's kite-flying contest. The judge borrows equipment from their physics teacher and follows a protocol of hooking a weight hanger onto the kite string, piling on weight until the string is horizontal, and recording the mass and angle. The judge then explains the method to the children's parents to give them confidence in their evaluation technique. In part (b), the judge solves for the string tension, specifically T2, using the equation T2=mg/(Tanθ). The conversation ends with the judge confirming that their explanation and solution are correct.
blackboy

Homework Statement

You are a judge in a children's kite-flying contest, and two children will win prizes for the kites that pull most strongly and least strongly on their strings. To measure string tensions, you borrow a weight hanger, some slotted weights, and a protractor from your physics teacher, and use the following protocol. Wait for a child to get her kite well controlled, hook the hanger onto the kite string about 30 cm from her hand, pile on weight until that section of string is horizontal, record the mass required, and record the angle between the horizontal and the string running up to the kite.

a) Explain how this method works. As you construct your explanation, imagine that the children's parents ask you about your method, that they might make false assumptions about your ability without concrete evidence, and that your explanation is an opportunity to give them confidence in your evaluation technique.

b) Find the string tension if the mass is 132 g and the angle of the kite string is 46.3 degrees.

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought on this was that there there are three forces: the two tensions and the force of the mass. Say T2=The tension on the left of the masses and T1=The tension on the right of the masses. Since the masses are in equilibrium F=0. In the x component T2=T1Cosθ. In the y component T1Sinθ=mg. Then I solved for T1 and T2. T1=mg/(Sinθ) and T2=mg/(Tanθ). Now if I knew which tension we were measuring, that would be great. I think we are measuring T2 so we want to find when mg/(Tanθ) is the max or min. For Tmax we want θ to be close as possible to 0 and m high. For Tmin we want a small m and θ as close to 90 as possible. Is this a good explanation? As for part (b) I think if it is asking for T2, then I got it. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

Physics news on Phys.org
i guess you got it right

Ok thanks but why is it asking me for the tension in the T2 and not T1?

1. How do you measure string tensions in a kite-flying contest?

To measure string tensions, we use a device called a tension meter. This device is attached to the kite string and measures the amount of force being applied to the string. The higher the tension, the more force is being applied.

2. What is the significance of measuring string tensions in a kite-flying contest?

The string tension directly affects the performance of the kite. A higher tension can lead to a more stable flight, while a lower tension can result in a less controlled flight. Measuring string tensions allows us to determine the effectiveness of different kite designs and techniques.

3. How accurate are the measurements of string tensions in a kite-flying contest?

The accuracy of the measurements depends on the quality of the tension meter being used and the skill of the person using it. Generally, tension meters have a margin of error of +/- 1%, which is considered to be very accurate in the world of science.

4. Can the string tension be adjusted during the kite-flying contest?

Yes, the string tension can be adjusted during the contest. Kite flyers often adjust the tension based on wind conditions, the weight of the kite, and other factors. The goal is to find the optimal tension for the kite to perform at its best.

5. How do you determine the winner of a kite-flying contest based on string tensions?

The winner of a kite-flying contest is usually determined by a combination of factors, including string tension. Judges will consider the stability, height, and overall performance of the kite, which can be affected by the string tension. The kite with the best overall performance will be declared the winner.