Observing Kerr Singularity: What Would an Observer See?

In summary, the Kerr singularity is a cylinder in space-time. It is a ring in the Boyer-Lindquist spatial coordinates so Peter is correct i.e. only its "spatial topology" is a ring. This has nothing to do with CTCs as the CTCs exist in a neighborhood of the ring singularity, not on it, and has to do with the fact that in this neighborhood the axial Killing field becomes time-like while retaining its closed orbits.Interesting, thank youSo what we would see - optically, and what we would "see" if we try to compensate pure optical effects?I understand it is quite difficult to answer this question without a detailed simulation, however, all
tzimie
I know it is very unlikely such thing exists because QM can prevent CTLs

However, what observer would see near such singularity?
As ring is timelike, for an observer it won't be a ring at all, but a point, correct?
That point should be visible (naked) because there are no horizons between an observer and singularity?

Physics news on Phys.org
tzimie said:
As ring is timelike, for an observer it won't be a ring at all, but a point, correct?

No, it would be a ring. "Timelike" just means it follows a timelike worldline, like an ordinary object. And yes, it will be visible if you're inside the inner horizon.

Any point object creates a timelike worldline in block time. Why Kerr Ring should be different? If it is timelike, it should be observed (by an observer close to the ring) as a point. "Ring" just tells us that an observer is inside closed timeline curve...

Last edited:
tzimie said:
If it is timelike, it should be observed (by an observer close to the ring) as a point. "Ring" just tells us that an observer is inside closed timeline curve...

The Kerr singularity is a cylinder in space-time. It is a ring in the Boyer-Lindquist spatial coordinates so Peter is correct i.e. only its "spatial topology" is a ring. This has nothing to do with CTCs as the CTCs exist in a neighborhood of the ring singularity, not on it, and has to do with the fact that in this neighborhood the axial Killing field becomes time-like while retaining its closed orbits.

Interesting, thank you
So what we would see - optically, and what we would "see" if we try to compensate pure optical effects?
I understand it is quite difficult to answer this question without a detailed simulation, however, all simulations I've seen cover only non rotating BH

Thank you!
Exactly what I was looking for!

Wow, just downloaded the program, that is a great find, thanks! Having just finished my own Kerr orbit program, it looks like I will be able to drive animations from this using my data files. Fantastic!

1. What is a Kerr singularity?

A Kerr singularity is a theoretical point of infinite density and zero volume that is predicted to exist at the center of a rotating black hole. It is a mathematical concept that describes the extreme gravitational forces at play in a black hole.

2. How can we observe a Kerr singularity?

Currently, it is not possible to directly observe a Kerr singularity. However, scientists can study the effects of the singularity on its surrounding environment, such as the distortion of light and the motion of matter, to indirectly infer its existence.

3. What would an observer see near a Kerr singularity?

An observer near a Kerr singularity would experience extreme gravitational effects, such as time dilation and strong gravitational lensing. They may also see distorted images of their surroundings due to the intense gravitational forces bending light rays.

4. Can an observer enter a Kerr singularity?

No, it is not possible for an observer to enter a Kerr singularity. As an observer approaches the singularity, the gravitational forces would become so strong that they would be crushed and torn apart by the intense gravity.

5. How does observing a Kerr singularity contribute to our understanding of black holes?

Studying the effects of a Kerr singularity can provide valuable insights into the behavior of black holes, which are some of the most enigmatic objects in the universe. It can also help us test and refine our understanding of gravity and the laws of physics in extreme environments.