Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flying pets

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Has anyone here had any experience with pets and air travel? Any particular airline that you'd recommend (or not recommend)?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's been a long time since i've flown pets. I had to fly my dogs a few times. I've heard horror stories, I'd do some research.

The only thing to remember is to tranquilize them before the flight (your vet will give you a sedative, and you should also give one to your pet). Get a sky kennel, and line it with something comfy, also put anything your pet might feel familiar with like a toy or something that has your scent on it.

4. Apr 19, 2009 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

Thanks, Evo.

I'd like to move back to Texas one of these days, but 24 hours of driving with a screaming cat is really unappealing. I thought I would look into flying.

5. Apr 19, 2009 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that!

I'd be terrified of flying with a pet. I've heard so many bad stories of lost or maltreated pets that I think I'd prefer 24 hours of yowling in a car.

6. Apr 19, 2009 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Bah. Fooled again.

All set for a discussion about bats, birds and flying squirrels.

7. Apr 19, 2009 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me too...moths, bees, fish... :grumpy:.

8. Apr 19, 2009 #7
    I was thinking about

flying%20dog.jpg

a flying dog when looked at the thread title.

9. Apr 19, 2009 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll admit that birds hadn't crossed my mind when I saw the thread title, and your post is more along the lines of what I was expecting.

10. Apr 19, 2009 #9
    This could work!

I have seen the future, and it is: Flying Dog Competitions!

11. Apr 20, 2009 #10
    Somehow I had an association with crows.

I don't have a good feeling by driving 24 hrs. A sedated cat won't drink and could easily be dehydrated in the harsh hot climate. Also we flew a dog from Edmonton Alberta to Amsterdam without any problems. Service was excellent. But this was over a quarter of a century ago.

12. Apr 20, 2009 #11
    My cat was flown in the cabin to Colorado (from OH, in 2001?). At ~10 pounds, however, she barely fit in the airline travel crate that is permitted. They also permit only one pet in the cabin (okay for us since I only had one), so We had to reserve the spot... and there was small charge ($50). She meowed constantly during the first flight, but was quiet by the second. I don't remember the airline, but suspect United, since Denver is a major hub for that airline.

I drove with her from CO to Tennessee (20 hrs, nonstop except for two short naps.) Pretty grueling on both of us.

I don't however, think I'd ever put her in the cargo area. If I was moving abroad, I'd find someone I know to take her in.

13. Apr 20, 2009 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How sexist. If you're moving a broad, you should buy her a seat on the plane.

Ba-zing!

14. Apr 20, 2009 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I drove across the country with two cats, once.

I just let them roam the car's interior, which has some drawbacks (it's easier for them to crawl down by the pedals than for a dog, but I also had cruise control on the interstate, so I could just encourage them out of the way; it's a good idea to put them on a leash before you open the door which can be a pain with the car seats in the way).

All in all, they didn't seem to mind the trip aside from being hungry by the end of it (I don't like to encourage the chance of car sickness, but it probably wouldn't have mattered since they preferred sitting in the back window).

15. Apr 20, 2009 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you drive long distances with a cat, how do you handle their need to use the little kitty litter room? That's the part I'd be worried about, timing stops so the cat could use the litter box, and would she? But it only seems worse on an airplane.

16. Apr 20, 2009 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Had you only moved to LA for school?

Do you just want to be close to your family again, or don't you like LA?

17. Apr 20, 2009 #16

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I would call this flirting with the lives of everyone on the same highway as you that day. You might as well have downed a bottle of whiskey.

18. Apr 21, 2009 #17
    Sad to say, but Cha-Cha -- not being used to car trips -- emptied her system in the half-hour between Boulder and Denver. I threw out the old kitchen towels that I used to line her kitty-carrier, and put in fresh. I think part of the reason deciding to drive straight through to Tennessee in the 20-21 hour marathon was to just avoid this happening again. I had packed a water and food dish, and a small littler box with just enough litter for an overnight at a hotel if need be. I was more worried about dehydration possibilities, but her scared panting stopped pretty quick after Denver too...

Like Bob G... I did decided to risk letting her "roam" the car (once we got to Missouri)... but she was actually just so darn scared that she settled down right next to me on the seat as close as she could get (since I didn't let her on the lap).

19. Apr 23, 2009 #18
    I made toss away litter pans from foil baking pans. A few weeks before moving, I replaced the real litter pan with the toss a way ones I made, and they got use to them. I screened off the back of my car, put the pan on the floor, gave them ittty bitty sleeping pills, then drove for 18 hours. When they woke up, about 8 hours into the trip, they were calm. They ate and then slept some more, and used the pan once.

20. Apr 23, 2009 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This is an awesome solution. Kudos.

21. Apr 23, 2009 #20
    My old American Shorthair mix Benjamin was standing next to a garbage pail whose lid was up, but unexpectedly came down with a crash. I have never seen a cat before or since jump a foot straight up using all four legs at once!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook