Building a Flying Ship: Calculating Necessary Horsepower

In summary: The concept of a flying boat is cool, but unless you have some sort of advanced engine, it's not going to work. A flying car like the Moler is a bit more realistic, but it still isn't possible with today's technology. You might want to consider making it lighter so that the engines can be mounted in the back.
mcantu
im working on a ship that can fly; simple yes . well having a little trubble tring to found out how mutch HP is needed to lift one pound in the air. I am making the engine my self i can't really give to mutch information at this point in time becouse I am still working on the frame work for the ship

Engineering news on Phys.org
My car has 170HP and it can't lift anything in the air.

The horsepower required by your engine cannot be determined so simply; we cannot answer the question.

In order for your ship to fly, it needs to produce as much lift as its entire weight. In order to produce lift, it will need to use some kind of an airfoil, which will presumably require that the ship be moving through the air (like an airplane), or for the airfoil to be moving through the air (like a helicopter). In either case, you need to figure out how much power is required to push the airfoil through the air at the speed needed to generate the required lift. This depends upon the airfoil design, the drag coefficient of the ship, the efficiency of your means of propulsion, and all kinds of other factors which we cannot deduce from your post.

- Warren

for one thing I am not making a car fly lol would be cool to see one fly. I am working on an electric engine so i kinda need to know how mutch HP is needed to lift a pound in the air the least amount that way i have a extra HP needed for extra poundage

ok ill give a little more of a detail I am more of a fantasy guy that like to see something that would never be done it more like boat with four engine 2 on left and right side two more engines on the back like a plane would have in a front but in the back that will push it forword it would move up like a choper would let say the intire thing is 16 pounds and a standor sale boat no sales

Last edited:
i think you need to slow down and formulate your thoughts a little better

Pretty little concept, but unless you are going to make the thing incredibly light or have some sort of advanced engines with EXTREMELY high hp to weight you are out of luck.

The flying boats I've seen are all ground effect aircraft or pontoon planes.

If you doubt me, look up the Moler flying car. Pretty much outlines the engine configuration you have, and then dang thing still doesn't work with today's technology.

there always a balloon i can add on top or have it shoot out the exzess heat from below to reduce it; making it less heavy. i was thinking about how mutch power would be needed for it i was also tring to keep it light. right now it's less then 5 ounce. it a small version right now. I am trying to make it less then 8 pounds that way the the engines can be mounted

1. How do you determine the necessary horsepower for a flying ship?

The necessary horsepower for a flying ship can be determined by considering the weight of the ship, the altitude at which it will fly, and the desired speed. These factors can be used to calculate the required lift and thrust, which can then be converted into horsepower.

2. What role does engine efficiency play in calculating horsepower for a flying ship?

Engine efficiency plays a crucial role in calculating horsepower for a flying ship. The more efficient the engine, the less horsepower will be needed to achieve the desired lift and thrust. It is important to choose engines with high efficiency to ensure optimal performance of the flying ship.

3. How does the shape and design of the flying ship affect the necessary horsepower?

The shape and design of the flying ship can have a significant impact on the necessary horsepower. A streamlined design can reduce drag and improve aerodynamics, which in turn reduces the amount of horsepower needed to achieve lift and thrust. The shape and design should be carefully considered when calculating the necessary horsepower.

4. Is there a minimum horsepower requirement for a flying ship to be able to take off?

Yes, there is a minimum horsepower requirement for a flying ship to be able to take off. This requirement will depend on the weight of the ship, the altitude, and the desired speed. If the necessary horsepower is not met, the ship will not be able to generate enough lift and thrust to take off.

5. Can the necessary horsepower for a flying ship change during flight?

Yes, the necessary horsepower for a flying ship can change during flight. As the weight of the ship decreases due to burning fuel, the necessary horsepower will also decrease. Additionally, changes in altitude and speed can also affect the necessary horsepower. It is important to continuously monitor and adjust the horsepower during flight to ensure optimal performance of the flying ship.