Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flying Triangles

1. Sep 7, 2004 #1
    Please move this post if necessary as I was not sure which forum it would be best suited to.

Reference:

http://space.com/businesstechnology...gle_040902.html
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5897539/

Assuming these sightings are not mass hallucinations and that a craft of unknown origin is really there, how would it work?

Here is an explanation I found, but I can't make heads or tails of it. Can you?

http://www.ufoevidence.org/documents/doc1567.htm

Thanks,
    Glenn

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2004 #2
    dont tell me YOU havent seen one yet? :-) Err, yeah, why would the government put disco lights on their flying triangles that they stole from alien technology. I figure they want to do it in style, so that in the event that some citizen happens to see one fly over their house, at super low altitutes mind you, they will seem like crackpots. But really, if the government had flying sausers why would they waste their time flying over peoples houses? Dont you think they would go to parts of space never before thought possible? But then again, the government always seems to do what makes the least amount of sense :-p and cost the most amount of money.

4. Sep 7, 2004 #3
    From outside of your country, it indeed looks like your governement is playing fool with you, like if that is very efficient to distract your attention :rolleyes: Looks to much like a spoof to be true, yet not all of them can lie, so it must be an organized spoof, and what other purpuse could it serve, apart from occupying you to worry about them ?

You probably have an advanced technology for spcacecraft. If they wanted to hide it, they could. They want to show you just enough so that you know, but not too much.

Or maybe this conspiracy theory is even less likely than true aliens. :tongue:

5. Sep 7, 2004 #4
    I do indeed find it particularly disturbing that either the government or aliens are into disco. Troubling indeed.

But my question is not in regard to who/what they are.

My question is, does the physics explanation offered in the third link hold up to scrutiny? Would this mechanism theoretically work as described? Please explain.

-Glenn

6. Sep 7, 2004 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Those are two awfully big assumptions.

I think such speculation is utterly useless. But to your specific question:
    No, its utterly meaningless. It isn't an explanation, but rather Star-Trek style technobabble.

7. Sep 7, 2004 #6
    I would not be that affirmative. There are several possible ways that kind of spacecraft can fly. There is certainly not enough information in the link above : it is not reliable at all.

But there are true scientists working on MagnetoHydroDynamic (MHD) for instance, who claim this technology will one day provide such spacecraft. I find them reliable.

Your army keep many technologies secret. Even non-critical ones. This makes it difficult to say you cannot yet build this kind of devices. Other countries in the world also have a quite advanced and secrety spacecraft technologies.

8. Sep 7, 2004 #7
    We are facing a situation in which we know that some triangles are ours (as the 1989 sighting by Chris Gibson demonstrates), some triangles are big, some are small, some do not appear to be "ours." If there is a single terrestrial explanation for this, it would have to be a shadow group, most likely among people deeply immersed in the world of black defense technology who developed their own agenda independent of any formally established government. -Richard M. Dolan

I can sum up his paper in two words, I will just abbreviate, B.S. Also, I can sum him up in two words, Nut Job. Yikes, I dident think there REALLY were people as crazy as him!

I like my triangles equilaterial, but thats just me. You might be an isosceles man yourself. :rofl:

9. Sep 7, 2004 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Sep 7, 2004 #9

russ_watters

MagnetoHydroDynamic Drive (from The Hunt for Red October) is real, works, and has nothing at all to do with aircraft or spacecraft propulsion.

http://www.sanu.ac.yu/English/Shipbuilding/Tema4.htm
    Technology can't exceed the limitations of physics.

11. Sep 8, 2004 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Russ is correct. Where did you hear about this?

12. Sep 8, 2004 #11

russ_watters

When I googled for the link I posted, I found quite a number of crackpot sites claiming it would work for spacecraft. Apparently, they have no idea what it is.

13. Sep 11, 2004 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean this?
    During the Soviet era, Polish writer Stanislaw Lem was the most celebrated SF author in the Communist world.... Solaris (1961) comes closer to being a traditional SF novel than most of his works, but its main thrust is still philosophical.

http://www.wsu.edu/~hughesc/solaris.html

So, I guess the magnetic field disrupter does in fact work agains the Phi-creatures. :biggrin:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
  14. Sep 21, 2004 #13
    Naudin's Lifters = Flying Triangles (small scale)

J. Naudin is well known for publicizing his triangle-shaped lifters. Perhaps the larger Flying Triangles use electric field effects and dielectric stresses to propel them.

I have checked a respectable website on UFO's concerning the Flying Triangles. A brief overview did not indicate whether or not the craft use electric propulsion.

In the early '90s, I contributed an article to the Electric Space Craft Journal on the Biefeld-Brown effect. The article was speculative, but I included a lot of physics about dielectrics, nonlinear electric fields, and internal forces at high voltages.

Naudin used air as a dielectric. Perhaps the Flying Triangles use a material with a greater dielectric constant and higher breakdown voltage.

Larry

15. Sep 21, 2004 #14

LURCH

Science Advisor

I think they are lighter-than-air craft, unpiloted and guided by satelite. If they are robotic reconisence vehicles (which do exist) that might explain why they are so frequently sited neard expressways and populated areas. They are programmed to look at things that might be of interest to a military or governmental inteligence gathering groupe. They would be attracted to motion and light. They should also be programmed to avoid being seen, but such robotic craft are always plagued with software problems in the early developement stages. The sitings have probably helped the boys in "R & D" program the thing. We the general public are serving as their Beta Groupe.

16. Apr 29, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I recently watched a very strange and unusual UFO program made in the mid 70's - The Overlords of the UFOs. I do believe this is a one-of-a-kind, even in the UFO world. But that aside, a picture of a craft absolutely identical to the black triangle chased by the Belgian Air Force [which was made a public event], photographed, and seen by countless witnesses throughout the 90's, is seen with the characteristic red light on the bottom, and the sleek, flat, triangular shape. This surprised me. I thought the triangles as such were a more recent evolution in the UFO lore. They must go back to at least 1970 - the story took place at least that early, maybe even in the mid 60's.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  17. Apr 29, 2005 #16
    U dont happen to know the place where that sighting occurred? Did they show a real picture/video or was it a drawing or simulation?

Here are some sightings reported to MUFON-CES in Germany, which show identical triangles as in Belgium 1989/1990:

http://www.mufon-ces.org/img/type/type10.jpg
    http://www.mufon-ces.org/img/type/type11.jpg
    http://www.mufon-ces.org/img/type/type12.jpg

The one in Belgium apparently had periods of 40 G movement. I dont know what kind of technology is necessary for that? Anti-gravity?

18. Apr 29, 2005 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I will check for a date and place. What was shown was a detailed drawing of what the witness reported.

19. Apr 30, 2005 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Below is the same case. In the movie, it was mixed in with some earlier stuff, so the date was later than I thought - April 3rd, 1975. The movie was made in 1978. The picture shown in the movie was based on the descriptions given by the policemen involved. Also, this case is strangly similar to the recent Highland and Lebanon Illinois police chase.

http://www.cohenufo.org/BPratt Select TriCases.html

20. Apr 30, 2005 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I should mention that in the picture shown, a bright red beam of light was seen coming from the bottom center of the delta or triangular [not V] shaped craft.

21. Apr 30, 2005 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One more thought. If these are military craft the government seems to be going way out of its way to perpetuate the UFO myth. These things all but beg the police to chase them. In both events mentioned, the UFOs hovered or traveled very low, and at times directly over the road in full view of the pursuing vehicles. In Illinois, one of the officers said that it was about thirty feet above the road and right in front of him.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?