Can a Flywheel Store 1 MW of Power for 50 Seconds with Only 33% Energy Loss?

In summary, a flywheel can store a large amount of power, but it will require a large and heavy flywheel to do so.
Pepelepoe
Hi fellow scientists and engineers,

I have a question regarding the design of a flywheel. I know that the actual engineering of a flywheel is very complex and in no way I should expect actual practical answers from this simple question. I'm just trying to get some estimates for a renewable energy project that I'm working on. I'm trying to find out the best way to calculate the dimensions, mass and torque of a flywheel so that it produces 1500 HP during 50 seconds while reducing its kinetic energy to no less than 33%. It's maximum angular velocity should be no more than 4,000 RPMs.

I'm a bit confused with power and the time delta. As you all know Power = (Work) / (delta t). In my calculations I converted 1500 HP into Watts, which is 1.12 MW. I then calculate the Work done by substituting the 1.12 MW for power and assuming that my delta t is 50 seconds. Is this approach correct? What I want to do in essence is be able to store 1 MW of power in a flywheel which feeds a generator during a t(assumed as 50 seconds) second cycle and not loose more than 33% of its speed during this period. Hope that the problem is clear for you guys. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are probably a few ways to do this, what comes to my mind is as the most straight forward is conservation of energy:

E_rotational = 1/2 I ω2

ΔE = 1.12 MW * 50 s = E_initial - E_final

Where ω_final = 0.67ω_initial
and ω is known

Solve for I (moment of inertia)
Having I you can do some calcs for flywheel size & shape (google will find you a table of I formulas for various simple shapes, disc, ring etc)
You will likely find you need an incredibly large and/or heavy flywheel. Let us know how you get on.

Likes jack action and Simon Bridge

1. What is a flywheel design estimation?

A flywheel design estimation is the process of determining the size, shape, and materials needed for a flywheel to effectively store and release energy. This is important for various applications, such as in engines or power generators.

2. How is a flywheel design estimation conducted?

A flywheel design estimation involves analyzing the specific requirements and constraints of the application, as well as considering factors such as energy storage capacity, rotational speed, and material strength. This is typically done through computer simulations and calculations.

3. What factors influence the design of a flywheel?

The design of a flywheel is influenced by several factors, including the intended application, required energy storage capacity, rotational speed, weight limitations, and material properties. Other factors such as cost, efficiency, and safety may also be considered.

4. Why is a flywheel design estimation important?

A flywheel design estimation is important because it ensures that the flywheel is designed to effectively store and release energy in the desired application. This helps to optimize performance and efficiency, while also ensuring the safety and reliability of the flywheel.

5. What are some common challenges in flywheel design estimation?

Some common challenges in flywheel design estimation include accurately predicting the behavior of the flywheel under various conditions, choosing the most suitable materials and design parameters, and balancing the trade-offs between performance, cost, and safety.