Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flywheel Energy Storage

1. Aug 28, 2010 #1
    I have an idea pertaining to energy storage in flywheels, something like they do in the KERS, and need assistance here...

Ok, my idea involves using a flywheel of around 10 kg (steel) with I~1 kg.m^2, to be charged to an RPM of around 7,000 RPM.
    This allows E = 0.5 x 1 x (7000x2x pi /60)^2 = 268 KJ of energy to be stored.

I want to charge it with a small engine (something like a Honda GX50) which, according to the charts will give max torque of 3 Nm at 4000 rpm and max power of 1.6 kW at 7000 rpm (approx).

I want to discharge it to run a light vehicle (170 kg including driver) such that the discharge takes place at one wheel only (a three wheeler). I want discharge in pulses.

Now, the questions:
    1. How do I calculate the time it takes to charge the flywheel to 7000 RPM? Can I do it without using some intermediate device like a CVT or motor/generator?
    2. How do I calculate the discharge time (and characteristics)?

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2010 #2
    I think flywheel energy storage is a really interesting topic, I would love to see more practical uses of them! If you end up making something, please post it.
  4. Sep 2, 2010 #3

1. The time it takes for increase the kinetic energy of the flywheel mainly (but not finally) depends on the characteristics of the energy supplier (your GSX50) and utilizer (in a direct coupling). Write down the energy balance and you will get the dynamics (and then the time). But direct coupling seems to me a not real event..
    2. For the discharge time you can use the same approach, this time the flywheel is the motor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook