Calculating the Torque of a Cylindrical Flywheel

In summary, the air motor discussed has 2 cylinders and is a low rpm device, requiring a flywheel to store enough torque to pass the dead spots at 10 degrees before and after top and bottom dead center. To calculate the torque available in a solid cylindrical flywheel, the design, diameter, length, density, and RPM must be considered. There are formulas for simple solid disks and cylinders, but the effect of mass at the outer rim where it is moving faster is greater. The link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel may be helpful in finding these formulas. Additionally, a 60 pound flywheel on the crankshaft was not providing enough torque, but a 40 pound flywheel rotating at 20 revs/
khoopes01
Our air motor has 2 cylinders and is a low rpm device. It therefore
needs a flywheel to store enough torque to get the crankshaft
past the dead spots at 10 degrees before and after top dead center and
10 degrees before and after bottom dead center.

My question is how to calculate the torque available in a solid cylindrical
flywheel in terms of its diameter, length, density, and RPM.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the design of the flywheel, basically mass at the outer rim where it is going faster has more effect.
There are formula for simple solid disks, cyclinders etc. I can't get the formula writer to work but this link is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel

Thanks, that did it

mgb_phys said:
It depends on the design of the flywheel, basically mass at the outer rim where it is going faster has more effect.
There are formula for simple solid disks, cyclinders etc. I can't get the formula writer to work but this link is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel
Thanks - you got me off the dime and I have my answer - is amazing what
the squared term does to flywheel energy. We has a 60 pound flywheel
on the cankshaft and it wasn't getting the job done. A 40 pound flywheel
rotating at 20 revs/second gave us more torque than we need.
Thanks again
Ken Hoopes
Chief Engineer HUE corp

khoopes01 said:
is amazing what
the squared term does to flywheel energy.
It is! There are proposals to use flywheels as alternatives to diesel generators for backup power - a few tons of flywheel at 10,000rpm is a lot of energy!

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that an object experiences. In the case of a cylindrical flywheel, torque is the force that is applied to rotate the flywheel.

How do you calculate torque?

Torque can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point of application of the force. In the case of a cylindrical flywheel, the formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance from the center of the flywheel to the point where the force is applied.

What is a cylindrical flywheel?

A cylindrical flywheel is a mechanical device that is used to store rotational energy. It consists of a heavy, circular disc or wheel that is mounted on a shaft and is able to rotate freely.

Why is it important to calculate the torque of a cylindrical flywheel?

Calculating the torque of a cylindrical flywheel is important because it allows us to determine the amount of force that is required to rotate the flywheel at a certain speed. This information is crucial in designing and using flywheels in various applications, such as in engines, machines, and energy storage systems.

What are some factors that can affect the torque of a cylindrical flywheel?

The torque of a cylindrical flywheel can be affected by several factors, including the mass and shape of the flywheel, the speed at which it is rotating, and any external forces or friction that may act upon it. Additionally, the distance from the center of the flywheel to the point of application of force can also impact the torque calculation.