Flywheel for energy storage

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a high inertia flywheel for energy storage and the question of how to calculate its inertia and stored kinetic energy. The suggestion is made to approach it as three concentric circles and calculate the energy of each disc. Another suggestion is to use the inertia calculations of a CAD program for more precision.
Dean Winchester
Hello,

I have to design a high inertia flywheel for energy storage. The flywheel must be something like in the drawing I attached. The question is: how can I calculate the Inertia and the stored kinetic energy in this type of flywheel?
Can I consider it like a classic "Rim , hub and spokes" flywheel, thus considering it like if there was a continuous rim, and use the classic formulas found in literature, such as I_rim=m*R_m^2 (where R_m is the mean radius) for the inertia of the rim and E=1/2*I_r*w^2 for the kinetic energy stored?

Thanks a lot for your help!
USlYRdM.jpg

Attachments

• assembly.JPG
    assembly.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 410
Engineering news on Phys.org
Just curious?
Why not use the Inertia calculations of said CAD program? It's much more precise than a mathematical assumption based formulation, as those intersections and fillets will have high error coefficients.

1. What is a flywheel for energy storage?

A flywheel for energy storage is a mechanical device used to store kinetic energy in the form of rotational motion. It consists of a heavy disc or wheel that rotates on an axis and can store energy when it is spun at high speeds. When needed, the energy can be released by slowing down the rotation of the flywheel.

2. How does a flywheel store energy?

A flywheel stores energy by converting electrical or mechanical energy into rotational motion. This is accomplished by using an electric motor or other means to spin the flywheel at high speeds. The energy is stored in the form of the flywheel's angular momentum, which can be released for use at a later time.

3. What are the advantages of using a flywheel for energy storage?

One of the main advantages of using a flywheel for energy storage is its ability to store and release large amounts of energy quickly. It also has a longer lifespan compared to other energy storage technologies, such as batteries. Additionally, flywheel systems do not degrade over time and do not require frequent maintenance, making them a cost-effective option.

4. How is a flywheel for energy storage different from a battery?

Unlike batteries, which store energy in chemical form, flywheels store energy in the form of rotational motion. This allows for faster charging and discharging times, making flywheels more suitable for applications that require quick bursts of energy. Additionally, flywheels have a longer lifespan and do not degrade over time like batteries do.

5. What are some common uses for flywheels in energy storage?

Flywheels are commonly used in applications that require short bursts of energy, such as backup power systems for data centers and hospitals. They are also used in conjunction with renewable energy sources, such as wind and solar, to help stabilize the grid and provide continuous power. Additionally, flywheels are being explored for use in electric vehicles as a way to store and release energy quickly, increasing their efficiency and range.