Flywheel Rotation Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a flywheel slowing down from an angular speed of 1.5 rad/s to a stop over the course of 40 revolutions. The goal is to find the time it takes for the flywheel to come to rest, assuming a constant acceleration. Various equations are explored, including those involving initial and final velocities, acceleration, and angle of rotation. It is noted that the equations for rotational motion closely follow those for linear motion. The final solution involves setting Δw = -1.5 and Δθ = 80π, and solving for the time (t) using the equation 80π = 1.5t -
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A flywheel turns through 40 rev as it slows from an angular speed of 1.5 rad/s to a stop.Assuming a constant acceleration,find the tme for it to come to rest.

Homework Equations

##w-w_0=∝t##

The Attempt at a Solution

In Δt secon the change in w will be 1.5 and this time it will rotate 40 times..I tried every equaiton like
0-1.5=∝t
or
40=1.5t-1/2∝t^2
but I couldn't found

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
40=1.5t-1/2∝t^2
but I couldn't found
There is another equation that you should know that involves initial and final velocities, acceleration and angle of rotation.
Also, you are mixing units here: revolutions and radians.

Check the units of your last equation (I wonder: why couldn't you solve it ? - or did it just give the wrong answer ?)

BvU said:
Check the units of your last equation (I wonder: why couldn't you solve it ? - or did it just give the wrong answer ?)

I am really bad at this whole rotation-torque subject.I ll look again..I know my equation is wrong...

What is the turning angle when the flywheel rotates 40 times?
Also check the signs.

ehild said:
What is the turning angle when the flywheel rotates 40 times?

turning angle ?

Arman777 said:
turning angle ?
Or angle of rotation. What is the angle the wheel rotates during one revolution?

ehild said:
Or angle of rotation. What is the angle the wheel rotates during one revolution?

2π ?

Are we turning 40 rev to 80π rad ??

Arman777 said:
2π ?
yes. And during 40 revolutions?

ehild said:
yes. And during 40 revolutions?

I posted 80π ?

Arman777 said:
I posted 80π ?
Yes. So what are the equations for the change of angular velocity and angular rotation angle in time Δt?

##w-w_0=∝t##and
##Δθ=wt ##

or ##Δθ=wt-\frac 1 2∝t^2##

Arman777 said:
##w-w_0=∝t##and
##Δθ=wt ##

or ##Δθ=wt-\frac 1 2∝t^2##
Δθ=wt is only valid for constant angular velocity.
##Δθ=w_0t+\frac {1 }{2}\alpha t^2## that is valid with positive sign.
Eliminate alpha.

Last edited:
I guess I have to study this more to understand the basics.I ll open another thread

Δw=-1.5 and Δθ is 80 so

Δw=-1.5=∝t and

80=1.5t-1/21.5t

Is this true ?

The rotational equations pretty much follow directly from the linear equations. So if you can remember the linear equations, the rotational should be easy.
v = vo + at → ω = ωo + αt
v2 = vo2 + 2ax → ω2 = ωo2 + 2αθ
x = vot + at2/2 → θ = ωot + αt2/2
F = ma → Γ = Iα
ρ = mv → L = Iω
Ek = mv2/2 → Ek = Iω2/2

Arman777 said:
80=1.5t-1/21.5t

Is this true ?
I think so, except it should be 80π instead of 80.

Likes Arman777
Ok,I found...Thanks all of you...Just couldn't see that

Likes TomHart

1. How does a flywheel rotate?

A flywheel rotates when a force is applied to it, causing it to spin around its axis. This force can be applied manually or through a motor or engine.

2. What is a flywheel used for?

A flywheel is used to store and release energy. It is commonly used in machines and vehicles to maintain a consistent rotational speed, smooth out power output, and provide additional power when needed.

3. How is the rotation speed of a flywheel measured?

The rotation speed of a flywheel is typically measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) using a tachometer or other speed measuring devices.

4. What are the factors that affect the rotation of a flywheel?

The rotation of a flywheel can be affected by its weight, size, shape, and the amount of force applied to it. Friction, air resistance, and the surface on which the flywheel is rotating can also impact its rotation.

5. How can the rotation of a flywheel be increased?

The rotation of a flywheel can be increased by increasing the force applied to it, reducing friction and air resistance, or increasing its weight. Additionally, using a smaller flywheel with the same amount of force can increase its rotation speed.