1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FM Radio

1. Mar 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I bought an FM radio mono kit. After I assembled it, it works. But I want to know how to have a clear reception or signal and to acquire more stations. What should I do? Any tips or techniques? does the coil affects the signal?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What do you have for an antenna?

4. Mar 25, 2010 #3
    a telescoping antenna, the one that can be extended/

5. Mar 25, 2010 #4

Mark44

Try moving the antenna around and moving the radio to different parts of the house to see if reception/signal strength improves. FM waves travel by line of sight, so if there is anything between the radio and the FM source, reception won't be very good.

Other than that, I don't have any electronics expertise.

6. Mar 25, 2010 #5
    I have tried that but i only get 1 station the others are not clear, what should I do with that?

7. Mar 25, 2010 #6

berkeman

Get a folded dipole antenna from Radio Shack. That's the one that is flexible, and looks like a "T" about arms'width wide at the top. Take off the telescoping antenna, and attach one of the two wires in the feedline to the antenna feed, and the other to your circuit common (ground). That should give you better gain, although you will need to rotate the T part around to aim at different stations.

Can you post a pic of your kit, either the one you built, or just a link to what it looks like?

8. Mar 25, 2010 #7
    i'll post a pic later. The coil included in the kit are 4 turns. Does this affect the signal or station that can be acquired? or Does the feet of those coils affect the signal?

9. Mar 25, 2010 #8

berkeman

What coils? I thought you said the antenna was a telescoping one?

10. Mar 25, 2010 #9
    yes. I have coils in the fm radio circuit. so does it?

11. Mar 25, 2010 #10

berkeman

I have no idea, but sure, the coils affect the signal coming in. I have no idea what the coil's "feet" are though.

If you could post a pic and the schematic, maybe we can offer other suggestions for increasing the receive sensitivity.

12. Mar 25, 2010 #11
    i'll do it later. i'm going out now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook