FM Modulation: Solving Problems with 400KHz and 40 Amplitude

In summary, the problem asked for the maximum deviation of a FM with a carrier frequency of 4MHz and a bandwidth of 400KHz, which is 200KHz. The second question asked for the modulation index given a maximum amplitude of 40 and the answer is 5. However, it seems like the problem was supposed to ask for the maximum frequency deviation given a maximum frequency of 40 kHz, in which case the modulation index would still be 5.
mohlam12
Hello,

So I was studying for my exam and came across this exercice we did in class and which I really don't know how we got the answer.

It says that if we have a FM with a carrier frequency of 4MHz, and the bandwidth is 400KHz, what is then the maximum deviation.. The answer is 200KHz.

So how did they figure it out? I know that BW = 2 ( Freq. Dev. + Signal Freq.)

And, the second question states: if the maximum amplitude of the source signal is 40, what would the modulation index be? The answer is 5.

Anyone can tell me how they solved it ? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mohlam12 said:
It says that if we have a FM with a carrier frequency of 4MHz, and the bandwidth is 400KHz, what is then the maximum deviation.. The answer is 200KHz.

So how did they figure it out? I know that BW = 2 ( Freq. Dev. + Signal Freq.)

You can just think about this conceptually. If you have a signal 400 kHz wide centered on 4 MHz, you can only deviate ±200 kHz in either direction around the center frequency.

And, the second question states: if the maximum amplitude of the source signal is 40, what would the modulation index be? The answer is 5.

This question seems unclear to me. Amplitude only matters in AM as far as the modulation index.

mohlam12 said:

The modulation index is the maximum frequency deviation divided by the maximum modulating frequency. We already know the maximum deviation is 200 kHz and 200 kHz divided by 5 = 40 kHz.

I suspect the problem was misstated. Instead of maximum amplitude it should have said maximum frequency and instead of 40 it should have been 40 kHz.

Thank you. I think the problem was misstated.

Hello,

It seems like you are studying FM modulation and are having trouble understanding how to solve these types of problems. Let me break down the steps for you:

1. In FM modulation, the bandwidth is equal to the sum of the frequency deviation and the signal frequency. So, in this case, the bandwidth is 400KHz, which means it is equal to the frequency deviation + 4MHz (carrier frequency).

2. We can rearrange this equation to solve for the frequency deviation, which is what we are looking for. So, 400KHz = frequency deviation + 4MHz. Subtract 4MHz from both sides, and we get the frequency deviation = 400KHz - 4MHz = -3.6MHz.

3. However, we know that frequency deviation can't be negative, so we take the absolute value of -3.6MHz, which is 3.6MHz. This is the maximum frequency deviation.

4. Since frequency deviation is equal to the modulation index (m) multiplied by the maximum amplitude of the source signal, we can rearrange this equation to solve for the modulation index. So, m = frequency deviation / maximum amplitude = 3.6MHz / 40 = 0.09.

5. However, the modulation index is usually expressed as a ratio or percentage, so we multiply 0.09 by 100 to get 9% or we can also express it as 1/11.

I hope this helps you understand how to solve these types of problems. Let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck on your exam!

1. What is FM modulation?

FM (Frequency Modulation) is a method of encoding information onto a radio wave by varying its frequency. This allows for the transmission of audio or data signals through radio waves.

2. How does FM modulation work?

FM modulation works by varying the frequency of the carrier signal in response to the amplitude of the input signal. This creates a wave with a varying frequency that can be decoded by a receiver to reproduce the original signal.

3. What are the advantages of FM modulation?

FM modulation offers a higher signal-to-noise ratio, which results in better audio quality compared to other modulation techniques. It is also less susceptible to interference and can transmit signals over longer distances.

4. What are the challenges of using 400KHz and 40 amplitude for FM modulation?

Using a higher frequency and amplitude for FM modulation can result in a wider bandwidth requirement, making it more susceptible to interference and noise. This can also limit the number of channels available for transmission.

5. How can problems with FM modulation using 400KHz and 40 amplitude be solved?

To solve problems with FM modulation using 400KHz and 40 amplitude, techniques such as filtering, frequency shifting, and limiting can be used. These methods can help reduce interference and improve the overall quality of the transmitted signal.