Fnet=ma (kind of confusing question )

• Thread starter laddoo12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, two blocks of masses 10.0 kg and 35.0 kg are shown in a diagram, with block A on top of block B and attached to the wall by a massless string. Block B is pulled by a force of 75.0 N and is on a frictionless surface, while the coefficients of friction for block A and B are μs = 0.34 and μk = 0.17. Part (a) asks for the acceleration of block B, and part (b) asks for the tension in the string. To solve this problem, one should use free body diagrams and apply Newton's laws. For part (a), the correct answer is a = 0.37 m
laddoo12

Homework Statement

In the diagram below are two blocks. Block A sitting on top of block B has a mass mA = 10.0 kg and is attached to the wall by massless string. Block B, mass mB = 35.0 kg, is pulled by a force F = 75.0 N. The surface under block B is frictionless. The coefficients of friction for block A and B are μs = 0.34 and μk = 0.17.
(a) Determine the acceleration of block B.
(b) Determine the tension in the string.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
Ffriction-mg*coefficient friction

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part i went
fnet=ma
Ft=(m1+m2)a+M*g*μk
75=45a+35*9.8*.17
a=41.68/45
a=.37 m/s^2

Not sure if i am doing this correct, the coefficient of static friction is confusing me, do i need it in this equation?

Part B
Fnet=ma
Ft=Ffriction+Ffstatic
Ft=.37*35*.17+35*.34*9.8
ft=118.82N (seems right not sure)

I am not fully confident in my work an answers can someone tell me if idid this correct, i have no answers unfortunately given to me. Please tell me if i went wrong somewhere or not thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mass A will stay on top of mass B as long the acceleration less than the static friction + the tension of the spring.
Nothing is said about the spring.

The top block cannot accelerate in the direction of the applied force, with respect to the ground, because it is attached to the wall. So your approach is incorrect. You should use free body diagrams for each block and identify the forces acting on each , and apply all of Newton's laws.

What is the meaning of Fnet=ma?

Fnet=ma is an equation that represents Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the product of its mass and acceleration. In other words, it explains the relationship between an object's mass, the force acting on it, and the resulting acceleration.

How do I calculate Fnet=ma?

To calculate Fnet=ma, you need to know the mass of the object and the acceleration it is experiencing. Then, you can simply multiply the two values together to find the net force. For example, if an object with a mass of 5 kg is experiencing an acceleration of 10 m/s^2, the net force would be 50 N (5 kg x 10 m/s^2 = 50 N).

What are the units for Fnet=ma?

The units for Fnet=ma are Newtons (N) for force, kilograms (kg) for mass, and meters per second squared (m/s^2) for acceleration. These units can also be written as kg*m/s^2, which is the unit for force in the SI system.

How does Fnet=ma relate to everyday life?

Fnet=ma is a fundamental equation in physics and has many applications in everyday life. For example, it explains why objects fall to the ground when dropped (due to the force of gravity), why it takes more force to accelerate a heavier object, and why it is more difficult to stop a moving object with a larger mass.

What are some common misconceptions about Fnet=ma?

One common misconception about Fnet=ma is that it only applies to objects in motion. However, this equation can also be used to calculate the force needed to keep an object at rest, known as the static equilibrium condition. Another misconception is that acceleration always means increasing speed, when in fact it can also refer to a change in direction or a decrease in speed.